Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Possible melanoma? Diagnosis pending

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    essp
    Participant

I’m so glad to have found this forum and all the support it offers to members diagnosed with melanoma. I wish everyone the best in their fight with cancer!

About a year ago, when applying nail paint to my toes, I noticed a new mole on my right leg (right next to my little toe). It was small – about 1mm in diameter, perfectly symmetrical and black. I’m not quite sure when the mole developed, but it was definitely recent. I was not too concerned with the mole then.

2 weeks ago, I noticed the mole closely again, and my heart sank. The mole appears raised and has evolved (now 3mm in diameter). It is asymmetrical with irregular borders and colors. Please refer to pictures here:

http://s27.postimg.org/tnzv37vs3/20140915_093415.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/j0laet7up/20140917_100213.jpg

Additionally, this week, i noticed longitudinal melanonychia on my right hand, middle finger. I’m in my 20s, dark skinned and of Asian-Indian ethnicity.

My general physician thinks it is a matter of concern and recommended I get a biopsy done. I have an appointment with my dermatologist in 2 weeks to get this tested out, but the anticipation is driving me crazy. I have had one benign mole removed (wide – local excision size 2 cm) from my wrist in the past. Apart from that, I have had no personal or family history of skin cancer.

What could this mole /condition be? Is there a possibility of Melanoma? Or am I just over-reacting?

I truly appreciate your insight on this. Thanks for all your help!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure if something is melanoma is to have a biopsy done. The pathology should be read by a dermatopathologist. I would try to get the appointment moved up, since you have great concern. Perhaps your physician can help with that. Please let us know how the pathology report reads and we can support you further. Try to live in the moment and soon you should have some answers.

wpatterson4
    Participant

That looks a lot like it could be a wart. I had a jet black lesion appear on the top of my big toe when I was in college, and it turned out to be just that. I was quite surprised when I read the pathology report.

Regardless, pretty much everyone here has been in the position you’re in right now – more than once. It’s frustrating and frightening. I hope your pathology report reveals that you have nothing to worry about!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

On the other hand I’ve had folks that had “warts” turn out to be melanoma. So you just never know. Having a biopsy is the only definitive way to know if something is risky or not.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Quote:

So you just never know. Having a biopsy is the only definitive way to know if something is risky or not.

Indeed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.