Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Post-melanoma thyroid nodule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    blotto
    Participant

Diagnosed w/ stage-1 melanoma 4 years ago. Melanoma removed. Last week doctor discovered thyroid nodule in unrelated scan. Thyroid function remains normal. Doctor recommends getting a second scan in 6 months to see if nodule is changing.

Do I need to be more aggressive? I read that males w/ previous melanomas were 2.5 times more likely to get thyroid cancer than baseline. Since in baseline there is a 5% chance of nodule being cancerous, does this mean I have a 12.5% chance of my nodule being cancerous. Also, is thyroid cancer after melanoma more aggressive or otherwise different from other thyroid cancers?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This is an interesting dilemma that some folks have faced. I would probably tell your doctor of your concern and perhaps he/she will be more vigilant. There isn’t a correlation between the two, but sometimes they both happen. Thyroid cancer is usually quite curable, like melanoma, when caught early. Might want another opinion from a center of excellence.

cohanja
    Participant

I don’t know if there’s any connection here but is one possible thing that people with previous melanoma may have gotten scans (CT for instance) and the radiation from those types of scans could be the culprit for other cancers later such as thyroid? I have no idea, just asking

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Most thyroid cancer has an unknown origin, but here is a link that explains more: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/thyroidcancer/detailedguide/thyroid-cancer-risk-factors

blotto
    Participant

Here’s the best article I could find on melanoma/thyroid cancer. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/ijc.21300/asset/21300_ftp.pdf;jsessionid=278085A03872F081923BCDF4F7D5FEBA.f01t02?v=1&t=hy9j8zxb&s=43dd1f17f561f6ee45e97d57f8f3ae403d13e7f4

I will share this with my doctor. He is a good doc, but is an internist. I’m not sure about best way to contact a center for excellence.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.