Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Promising News from Fred Hutch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lisa P
    Participant

While some of you may already heard about this, I thought I’d post it for those like myself who haven’t. I’m including it here because this is my home page and, believe it or not, I’m afraid to even visit the Stage IV forum site. I don’t think I can handle it so, Catherine, if you think it’s worthwhile, perhaps you can share the information there.

I live in Seattle and have contributed to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center over the years, which is one of the best cancer research institutions in the world. Last night, I received a copy of their donor magazine, QUEST, which contained an article about the passing of one of their faculty members — a giant in the medical field — Dr. E. Donnall Thomas. Dr. Thomas received a Nobel Prize back in 1990 for his pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation in the treatment of leukemia and otherwise fatal diseases. Dr. Thomas’ work is credited with saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

One of the paragraphs in the article stated the following: “Thomas’ contributions have sparked entire new fields of inquiry, including promising treatments stemming from immunotherapy research. Most recently, his colleagues have put late-stage melanoma into remission by using a person’s own immune cells to attack the cancer. Another colleague will soon begin a transplantation clinical trial to treat Crohn’s disease.”

At any rate, I thought this was worth sharing. Although melanoma research is terribly underfunded, it’s good to know that good work is being done and progress being made. Sending good thoughts to all, Lisa

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info. I think they are referring to the TIL therapy which is being pioneered at NCI, but also worked on in Seattle. That is fine if you don’t venture to stage IV, that’s why we have everyone in their own stage area.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.