Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Question about pathology

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JennyMK0908
    Participant

I’m sorry to keep posting, but questions keep popping up for me.

I was reading my pathology report, yet again, and had a question. It states that the melanoma was an “invasive malignant melanoma”. The Breslow depth was .43mm, no ulceration, 0 mitoses, removed with clear margins via WLE. Should I be concerned with the “invasive melanoma” part? I have read that these tend to be more serious since they have the potential to spread, or does it just depend on the other factors…Breslow depth, mitoses, etc? It also says that the residual melanoma taken out during the WLE was insitu. Does this mean that I had a stage 1A melanoma growing on top of an insitu melanoma?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I’m uncertain why they use that term. Concentrate on your Breslow depth, which is low risk and the zero mitosis. Those are good indicators of no further consequences of this melanoma.

JennyMK0908
    Participant

I emailed my dr about the wording of this report. She said anything that isn’t “in situ”, they label as invasive. Makes sense I guess.

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Catherine. I am struggling every day to see the positive of this diagnosis. This week will be particularly tough. Today, my mom is having surgery because she fell down the stairs and broke her leg. Wednesday, I will be taking one of my sons for his first derm appointment, and Thursday will be my 3 month check with my derm. I am on pins and needles. Fortunately, I also have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow, so that should help with my anxiety. I am just hoping and praying that both my son and I get clear checks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.