Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Shirley Z
    Participant

Had my checkup today. Bloodwork was good except the last two times have shown dehydration and high calcium levels (although not extremely high). She ordered bloodwork to recheck it again and also to check for hyperthyroidism. I had the bloodwork done today so hoping for results next week.

Anything to be concerned about? Need to hear from my panel of experts lol. Thanks!

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

I don’t know much about this condition, other than one of the causes can be taking too much Vitamin D. So if you are taking Vitamin D, you might want to consider cutting back on your dosage. But check with your doctor first.

Did find the following page, which goes into a bit of detail on the causes of high calcium levels in the blood. Hope this helps answer some of the questions milling around in your head: http://www.parathyroid.com/high-calcium.htm” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.parathyroid.com/high-calcium.htm

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

I do take vitamin D although not in high doses. I also read that too much can cause a high reading. Hopefully the bloodwork will be back this week and we will know if it is thyroid related.

I have my CT on Wed. Other than that and the usual lymphedema problems, all is well.

Thanks for responding Linny. Hope you have a great summer. I will let u know when I have the test results.

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

Good luck on Wednesday and with the blood test results.

I guess it’s also possible that the reading could have been a temporary spike depending on what you’d eaten recently? I once had a blood sugar reading that was slightly high. What had happened was when I saw how long a wait I had to see the doctor, I walked across the street and had an ice cream. 😯 So it was no surprise that the reading was off. 😆

Shirley Z
    Participant

Ha ha that’s funny Linny. We love ice cream as well. It is our weekend treat. My last visit also showed dehydration. Although I woukd have to look to see if the calcium was elevated then also. Hopefully we’ll have an answer soon. Have a great day.

Shirley

msue5
    Participant

Thyroid would be my first guess. Also slight decline in kidney function? Hope the recheck will be better. Drink drink drink! Water that is! Being dehydrated can elevate some numbers artificially. Hope all is well.

Mary Sue

Shirley Z
    Participant

Thanks Mary Sue! How are you feeling? I pray for you every day.

My problems seem so trival compared to all that you have been through.

Take good care of yourself. Talk soon.

Shirley Z

msue5
    Participant

I think your lypmedema is much worse than mine but no matter what stage of melanoma you are we all share the same fear and uncertainty about our futures. The thing I suffer the most from are my abd surgeries which causes abd spasms and pain with any movement. It feels like a boulder is in my abdomen. I am trying to come up with some form of exercise that I can tolerate. I might try bike riding. Next weekend some of our family along with my husband and I are participating in the Melanoma Choptank 5k on the eastern bay of Maryland. We went last year and it was great. I was humbled by my family who chose to be there with me. Let us know how your bloodwork turns out. I go to get my weekly bloodwork today and next Monday 2nd Yervoy infusion. It feels good to finally be on actual treatment after watch, wait and too many surgeries. Its hard to be Stage 3.

Mary Sue

Shirley Z
    Participant

Mary Sue,

Hope you are feeling well for the run and will be able to enjoy watching the people that love you so much.

Yes the lymphedema is tough. I think the hardest thing is having to limit myself doing what never bothered me before the suregy. I have learned to be thankful for what I have ..my life!

I pray the yervoy will do wonders for you, and for a long lasting response.

Take care my friend,

Shirley Z

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Mary Sue and Linny,

The bloodtest showed no thyroid problems. She thinks I was just dehydrated. I try to drink a lot of water but guess I need to drink more.

Have my CT tomorrow then I should be good for another 6 months.

Hope you both have a nice evening.

Mary Sue … take good care of yourself.

Shirley

Linny
    Participant

One down, one more to go. That’s great news about the bloodwork. Don’t forget that your body can also absorb water from fresh fruits and veggies. It’s not much, but it helps.

You will appreciate this: we drove down to Charleston, SC a month ago and part of the trip took us through Virginia via Interstate 81. I recalled the story you told about your limb getting achy when you drove to Tennessee. Thought I haven’t read it, there has to be some correlation between sudden exposure to higher elevations and achy post-lymphadenectomy limbs because my affected arm got achy. I was anticipating it based on your story and an earlier experience of mine so I wore my sleeve on that part of the trip. The aching dissipated as soon as we got back to a lower elevation. :geek:

I have an appointment with my surgeon this afternoon so I’m going to ask her about that.

Good luck to you on your CT scan today!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Shirley, better start taking care of yourself! That’s an order! Hope all goes well at your CT scan. You’ll be in my thoughts. Drink lots of water! :)

Shirley Z
    Participant

Thanks guys! I’m going to force myself to drink more water. Its funny because I am always made fun of for never going anywhere without my water bottle, even if I am only going to be gone for 10 mins.

Linny good luck with your appointment today. Had my CT this afternoon so now I am drinking LOTS OF WATER to flush the contrast out.

Enjoying this beautiful spring weather here,

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

Hi Shirley, my visit with the surgeon went well. When I asked her about higher elevations causing lymphadenectomy limbs to ache, she nodded her head and said, “oh yes”. She did notice that my upper left arm was slightly larger than the right so she wrote out an order for me to see a therapist and get it evaluated. She didn’t seem overly concerned but felt it would be a good idea to get it looked at and I totally agree.

When will you know about your scan results?

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

This is the third time typing this. First from my phone and then somehow lost it twice. gave up and grabbed the laptop.

Happy to hear your visit went well. Yes it probably is a good idea to get the arm evaluated. I have lymphedema in my arm from the bloodclots I had. Although its not nearly as bad as my leg. Although sometimes it aches as much.

I guess we have the answer to the higher elevation. So many things effect it. Weather changes, over useage. Its strange how the body works.

I will call the records dept tomm to see if the report has been typed up yet. It may be Monday because I had an afternoon scan. Will let you know. I’m sure all is well.

Have a great day! Loving this beautiful weather.

Shirley Z

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.