Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Re growing of a biopsied mole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Webbie73
    Participant

In March I had a shaved biopsy on a flat but slightly raised mole. I have had this mole my whole life and it was stable. It got irritated and did not heal hence the biopsy. Pathology termed it an irritated Nevis and OK. Since that time the mole is growing back. I understand part of the deep roots could have been left behind but I did not expect it to grow especially since it was always stable. Any thoughts?

cohanja
    Participant

I’m not a doctor and you have to do whatever make you comfortable. For me, any signs of pigment regrowth. . . even though still likely to be OK, if it’s changing I would want it removed again.

wpatterson4
    Participant

I’ve had a recurrent nevus, too. It came from one of the two moles my dermatologist took off following my initial diagnosis. After the shave wound healed, I noticed two dark spots in the middle of the scar while looking at my back in the mirror. I then took pictures of it to get a closer look. An intense freak-out ensued. That was early last year, and I’m still here.

My derm told me it’s normal. It simply means that the shave biopsy missed a portion of the mole. Some times this remnant will grow, but it’s not usually malignant. Apparently this phenomenon has caused a lot of anxiety; they don’t call it pseudomelanoma for nothing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomelanoma

Icegurl470
    Participant

I had a large irregular mole on my back that I was born with and in high school my doc decided to remove and biopsy it. The results of the biopsy came back normal, but I also had partial regrowth and was basically told that they may not have gone deep enough when they removed it and some “roots” were probably still intact, so some regrowth was normal. About 6-10 yrs later at the age of 23, it was removed again and the results of the biopsy came back 0.5cm malignant melanoma (despite a lack of long-term to environmental risk factors). Not saying you should be worried just relaying my experience. I had a false sense of security in the fact that the mole had been removed and tested normal before, so I didn’t worry about it as much as I probably should have.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Great heads-up, Ice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.