• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sznn
    Participant

I am waiting for my surgery date for the WLE – SNB, looks like it will be the end of June.

My question is – if I have this done at the end of June, is it realistic to do a 100K bike ride at the end of July?

I have a gourmet bike tour booked and I really don’t want to cancel it – it will be the highlight of my summer and I am really looking forward to it.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much.

S

washoegal
    Participant

It all depends on you; how fast you heal. I had a cruise planned for 3 weeks after my WLE and SNB. I was still in a fair amount of pain from the WLE but it was doable. If it’s a ride where you can pace yourself and not a race, you might be able to do it.

Mary

Stage 3

cohanja
    Participant

Where is the WLE? Extremity or trunk?

I had WLE almost 2 years ago on my upper back (left side). It was not terribly painful, I actually stopped taking the strong stuff pretty quickly because it gave me upset stomach and so I went to Tylenol and was fine with that. The thing that happened with me is either I started moving around too much too soon, or it was going to happen anyway just because of the location. . you almost can’t move without stretching that area. . .so it opened up. So, while it started healing and the skin was very thin there, it eventually opened up and so I had a big hole in my back for a long time while it healed from the inside out. It didn’t get infected, it didn’t really hurt, and my wife would just change the dressing on it each day. I didn’t need one of those vacuum things that drain fluid or anything like that, I just let it slowly heal after it opened, and eventually after maybe couple months it finally healed up. Because of that, the scar is bigger, of course. My surgeon is a very skilled, very good surgeon (specializes in breast cancer and melanoma), but he sees this scar and just says it’s not in his top 10 that he’s done, that’s for sure. I don’t care so much about the cosmetic part. I actually have talked to one dermatologist who said when she does a WLE in that part of the back, she knows it is likely to open so she doesn’t even bother to close it up, she just lets it heal from the inside out. So, try not to stretch it out too much after surgery, let it come together and heal.

Sznn
    Participant

The site is at the back of my upper arm.

There seems to be ample skin since I have been a sloth and haven’t hit the gym in awhile.

I seem to heal well and quickly, so I am going to assume that I will be ready to ride after a month of recovery.

The ride isn’t a race and they do have SAG wagons if I need to bail out (which I am OK with if it is after I have hit all the gourmet pit stops 😆 )

Thanks for all of your input.

S

HeatFire
    Participant

If you got no economical problems canceling at the last minute don’t cancel.

Don’t let the disease of cancer take more room in your life then it have to.

You might be just fine 3-4weeks having no more pain that cant be treated with light medication or maybe no medication at all.

7spider
    Participant

Hi, Mine was also on the back of my arm and I also had the SLNB. Pain was not too terrible. I took the pain meds for 3-4 days, then switched to advil. The pain was pretty much gone except a lil soreness by the time I had the stitches removed 10 days later. You will have to take it easy on that arm for well over a month to avoid tearing the internal stiching they do. The back of my arm is still a lil numb 13 months later from nerve damage from surgery, but it is getting better. Slowly. As for your bike thing, it will probably depend on how you feel, so I agree w/ the other persons comment, just wait and see. How come ya gotta wait till the end of June ?

Sznn
    Participant

I have to wait until the end of June because I live in Canada. Unless you are on death’s door there is a wait list for everything here. I would love to just get it done and over with, get on with my summer.

I am not going to cancel the bike trip…will ride one armed if I have to :D

7spider
    Participant

I hear ya ! Good luck w/ the surgery and hope you can still do your bike thing and enjoy it. 8-)

Worrywart
    Participant

I’d still do it! I’m sure you’ll be fine after a month. Maybe not 100%, but good enough to ride. Be sure to wear sunblock! Good luck! :D

sarahwyo
    Participant

After reading this whole post I NEED A NEW DR. I’ve had 7 different spots removed over 3ish years the smallest being 8mm. I was never once given any pain meds, they were all done in the skin clinic surgery suit. I went back to work right after most of them then the day after took it really easy, ya it’s always hurt but the secret is to keep the wound stitches moist. if you left it dry out you’ll have alot more pain and more scarring. everyone is different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.