• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    marti
    Participant

2009: Breslow 0,64 melanom on outer ear, no mitosis, SNB/WLE some melanin-A cells in node, not enough for micrometatasis. ( Confirmed by 2 pathologists). I am in a centre of exellence.

On the scar tissue of the WLE, part the scar formed a tiny tunnel by the skin, size of a needle. I could see a tiny black spot, since many months, if not year, looking like “a black head”, which could be scraped of. (Very difficult to see in the back of my ear…

The dermatologist said it looks lide a comedone, but I I will take a biopt, and the comedone will be gone by that procedure, she smiled. I will phone you in 2 weeks.

Last Friday she called: its a melanocytaire leasion, not sure its melanoma, but we need to take this serious, and was seen by the head/neck onco surgeon the same day. He told me, since both pathologists could not be certain, I will need another WLE. I had booked a holiday for 2 weeks, had already checked in, and he said no problem. So the WLE is scheduled for March 4th.

I asked him about SNB, and he said: since this is not confirmed a melanoma, we dont do this now, we will see what happens after the WLE. When I asked him is this new or a recurrence, he said “we simply cannot know this at this point, but it would be likely a recurence, if it is melanoma.

I am now afraid that “under the double skin- In this “tunnel”there was something invisable, because of this skin flap, and just accompagnied by a “comedone”. Has anyone any experience with this? What would I need to know if its melanoma: Breslow, etc ???

Marti

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

A melanocytic lesion doesn’t mean melanoma. So I would try to remain calm until the additional biopsy is done. It sounds very low risk.

marti
    Participant

Catherine,

Thanks very much for your reply and ecouragement, you are very right, no need to worry untill I know more. Still puzzled by the fact how melanocytes could be hiding unvisible, I will let it rest untill I know more.

Marti

marti
    Participant

My ear has gotten smaller due to the pizza-slice taken out, its healing Well.

The phone call today :

Confirmed melanoma, satelite metastase , almost 5 years after original diagnosis. Will have appt next Thursday. Would this place me in stage II or III ?

Do i need to ask for further testing?

Any one any ideas what to ask?

Marti

marti
    Participant

Inconclusive results; yes it was 1,5 mm recidive melanoma in the original site.

In retrospective my melanoma in 2009 was seen in 2 melanoma centers,(first and second opinion) both: 0,6 mm melanoma. Clear margins after WLE and SNB.

The punch biopsy 2014 was dd: metastasis or (less likely) preexistent naevus.

Result on WLE 2014: recidive of original melanoma. ( how is that possible with clear margins in 2009?) It also reads: no satellites, no regression, no angio-invasion.

So still stage I, but a meeting will be set up with derm, surgeon and Pathologist, so they can come with a conclusive outcome.

So far so good ? Any input from others?

Marti

toastwave
    Participant

no input…just good luck! what a really weird situation with clear margins…maybe they’ll explain further.

marti
    Participant

Toastwave, thank you very much for being supportive. I have learned more now and would like to share, specially its so important to be looking for something “different”in or around the original scar, even the tiniest “blackhead”, also if declared “very low risk”.

My tiny little blackhead is now diagnosed as “true”local recurrence. So still stage I, I am very relieved, will get a ultrasound of neck, and thin needle biopsy, if nodes are enlarged. Will be under close monitoring by onc. surgeon and onc. derm.

Again, please look for anything different in an existing scar, and have it checked,

Marti

Jess_TN
    Participant

Hey Marti, Thanks for the update. This is a topic I’m certain we all have a great deal of interest in. The fear of recurrence definitely has an ebb and flow, but never truly disappears (at least for me anyway). I’m so sorry to hear of your news, but I’m sending positive thoughts your way. Hang in there!!

Worrywart
    Participant

Great job being vigilant and catching this recurrence. Any change should be looked at! Hoping this is the last time you have to deal w/ Melanoma.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.