Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Resistance to braf/MEK combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Belinda
    Participant

Hi,

I am hoping to seek advice/opinion on what might be my best option. Recent PET/CT shows I have built a resistance to the braf/MEK combo that I have been on since Sept 2013. (I was previously on Zelboraf for 7months & a couple of courses of radiation both at stg 3 & stg 4). I am in QLD, Australia & have been advised the PD-1 trial has closed here with no other trials available to me at this stage. I have two sets of Oncology care because I live in regional Townsville and travel to Brisbane every four wks for current treatment collection. The options it have been provided this week are:

Stay on braf/MEK combo as it will slow new growth and potentially buy some time until a better treatment option becomes available OR try Yervoy. One Oncologist prefers the latter but the other believes that the disease could take me before Yervoy actually works.

I know the chance of Yervoy working is marginal but shouldn’t I give it a go? My current disease includes skull, shoulders, humerous, cervical & lumber spine, ribs, pelvis, femur & intra-abdominal (growing beside liver & also spleen) with no vital organs compromised as yet, I’m thinking this might be my window to try something new…? I’m 35 with a young family & am struggling… Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bel

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I believe the ADC trial is available there, I posted the locations previously. That is worth looking at.

Belinda
    Participant

Thank you so much Carolyn. Unfortunately Victoria (4000km’s) is a long way away from where we live and relocation isn’t an option for us. We are trying to do the best with what we’ve got.

Bel.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I saw that the NIVO (Pd1) and IPI (Yervoy) trial is listed under Queensland, Australia. Go to this link for a list of those studies including that one: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+queensland+australia&Search=Search

Belinda
    Participant

Thank-you Carolyn. We had pinned our hopes on this trial and had earlier moved my care to Greenslopes in Brisbane in the hope I could get better access to trials. Unfortunately my Oncologist has advised that it has now closed.

I do really appreciate your assistance, we are feeling that our options are now limited.

Bel

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

If you call me Catherine I’ll keep looking! (a lot of people call me Carolyn) I would call that trial and get on a waiting list. You never know if someone may drop out or even you have a possibility of talking them into one more slot!

Belinda
    Participant

Oh my goodness!!! How terribly rude of me! I can’t believe I typed Carolyn- I was definitely thinking Catherine!!! Please accept my most sincere apologies!! I don’t even know what excuse I could use to justify the reasoning :(

I will give them a call and see what I need to do to get on the waiting list.

Thanks Catherine!

Bel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.