Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Resistance to braf/MEK combo

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #21780
    Belinda
    Participant

    Hi,

    I am hoping to seek advice/opinion on what might be my best option. Recent PET/CT shows I have built a resistance to the braf/MEK combo that I have been on since Sept 2013. (I was previously on Zelboraf for 7months & a couple of courses of radiation both at stg 3 & stg 4). I am in QLD, Australia & have been advised the PD-1 trial has closed here with no other trials available to me at this stage. I have two sets of Oncology care because I live in regional Townsville and travel to Brisbane every four wks for current treatment collection. The options it have been provided this week are:

    Stay on braf/MEK combo as it will slow new growth and potentially buy some time until a better treatment option becomes available OR try Yervoy. One Oncologist prefers the latter but the other believes that the disease could take me before Yervoy actually works.

    I know the chance of Yervoy working is marginal but shouldn’t I give it a go? My current disease includes skull, shoulders, humerous, cervical & lumber spine, ribs, pelvis, femur & intra-abdominal (growing beside liver & also spleen) with no vital organs compromised as yet, I’m thinking this might be my window to try something new…? I’m 35 with a young family & am struggling… Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Bel

    #63465
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

    I believe the ADC trial is available there, I posted the locations previously. That is worth looking at.

    #63466
    Belinda
    Participant

    Thank you so much Carolyn. Unfortunately Victoria (4000km’s) is a long way away from where we live and relocation isn’t an option for us. We are trying to do the best with what we’ve got.

    Bel.

    #63467
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

    I saw that the NIVO (Pd1) and IPI (Yervoy) trial is listed under Queensland, Australia. Go to this link for a list of those studies including that one: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+queensland+australia&Search=Search

    #63468
    Belinda
    Participant

    Thank-you Carolyn. We had pinned our hopes on this trial and had earlier moved my care to Greenslopes in Brisbane in the hope I could get better access to trials. Unfortunately my Oncologist has advised that it has now closed.

    I do really appreciate your assistance, we are feeling that our options are now limited.

    Bel

    #63469
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

    If you call me Catherine I’ll keep looking! (a lot of people call me Carolyn) I would call that trial and get on a waiting list. You never know if someone may drop out or even you have a possibility of talking them into one more slot!

    #63470
    Belinda
    Participant

    Oh my goodness!!! How terribly rude of me! I can’t believe I typed Carolyn- I was definitely thinking Catherine!!! Please accept my most sincere apologies!! I don’t even know what excuse I could use to justify the reasoning :(

    I will give them a call and see what I need to do to get on the waiting list.

    Thanks Catherine!

    Bel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.