Home Forums Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV Scanxiety- how to deal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hope629
    Participant

Happy Holidays!

I’m starting to get a little anxious about my PET scan on January 2nd. This will be my first PET scan and I’ll be seeing my oncologist on January 15th for my 3-month follow-up appointment since October. I had a chest x-ray and brain MRI the beginning of October and everything was clean but I’m just getting very nervous right now and I feel like my mind is playing tricks where I think I “feel” something in my body or every “ache” must be melanoma related.

I know this is part of my treatment ‘wait and see’ with scans and doctor appointments. I guess because it’s my first round of follow-up appointments that I’m getting nervous/anxious and I don’t want to take away from the holidays and celebrating with my family especially since it’s my baby boy’s first Christmas.

I will say 95% of the time, I don’t think about having skin cancer even with the visible scars,but there is that 5% where it’s always in the back of my mind.

Any advice on how to cope with the ‘scanxitey’ feelings?

Thank you.

Danielle

Prd10
    Participant

Hi Danielle,

I meant to reply to your other post and just forgot to actually do it (mom brain), and I try to stay off the boards and live life. Anyway, our stories are very very similar. Just replace right hand with left foot. Also had 1 node positive, and a baby boy at home. I’m so blessed to be cancer free at 3 1/2 years and my baby boy is now a 4 year old monster!! Talk about a roller coaster of emotions, being a new mom is hard enough. It will get easier with time.

Some thoughts on your scans. What you are feeling is totally normal, not that it helps but it’s totally normal. I can go from running 20 – 30 miles a week to not being able to walk across a room without being convinced there is something wrong. Some people like meditation. I like yoga. Try to get some time to yourself to just breathe and relax, probably necessary this time of year cancer or not. I’ve been prescribed Ativan, nothing wrong with that either. I try to talk myself off the ledge with numbers and logic. So the chances of this showing anything that your X-ray in October didn’t are very small. Truly the chances of any of the scans showing something are small, and for each and very one I tell myself just not this time. I’ve also convinced myself that we are lucky to be able to catch something before we are symptomatic and maybe we could stay ahead of it.

I would try to find out how and when you will get your results. Are they going to call before the appointment / 13 days sounds like a long time to wait? It sounds like you like your Dr and hospital and at this point that’s the most important thing.

This will get easier with time. I’m at the point where the most difficult thing in my life is relating to my friends, and having a totally different perspective on things. My day isn’t ruined very easily and I can laugh it off when my little boy has a fit or acts like a normal little boy. I am also not consumed with my diagnosis, although it’s changed me in many ways. What we are dealing with really stinks. Try to take it easy on yourself and enjoy that baby.

hope629
    Participant

Thank you, Prd10 for your post and advice. I also try to stay off the internet and forums to not get ahead of myself or scared but I think with the scan coming up, I’m getting very nervous and wanted to hear from others in similar situations.

It’s reassuring to hear your story and similar situation with having a baby at the time of diagnosis, and that you’ve been cancer free for 3 1/2 years…awesome!! I love yoga too and did a lot of prenatal yoga classes, I think getting back into it and having a hour to myself will help A LOT, it’s been hard with being back at work and wanting to spend the evenings and weekends with my baby and family to fit in exercise, but having something just for me will do me good and keep my mind clear and staying active is important.

I’m at Penn Med for my follow-up care, and my oncologist will call me before my actual appointment with the results. So here’s praying and hoping for a healthy 2015!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I’ll be sure to keep in touch.

Prd10
    Participant

Hi Danielle,

Do try to take some time for yourself. Yoga and running make me feel somewhat sane, but I know it’s easier said than done.

I’ll be thinking of you. Good luck and Merry Christmas and a healthy 2015 for all of us. Feel free to reach out over email too if you want.

Take care

caitlin

hope629
    Participant

I forgot to post a follow-up…PET scan all clear :-)

goldfidler
    Participant

Great news!

hope629
    Participant

Thank you :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Newly Diagnosed Stage III/IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.