• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Deb3
    Participant

Hi–I got a diagnosis of malignant melanoma 2 weeks ago. I don’t get to see my surgeon for another week and a half. I’m freaking out. No one I know has ever had this and no one is much help because they don’t know what to expect either. My dermatologist discussed a wide excision and node biopsy. Everything I read online makes me feel worse. My pathology report is:

Breslow-0.95mm

Clark’s level-IV

Features of regression-not identified

Gr phase-vertical

Mitotic rate-1.0/mm2

Lymph host response-Non-Brisk

Pathological stage-T1b

Anyone have any insight to this? I’ve been a basket case for the last 2 weeks!

Thank you so much

cohanja
    Participant

Hello, have you read the sections on newly diagnosed and understanding pathology? Those might be helpful to read.

http://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/newly-diagnosed/

http://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/pathology/

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Deb,

Welcome to our forum. You are in good company for support. We all know what it is like to be in your shoes. I had a melanoma .76 24 years ago. You are just on the cusp of having the Sentinel Node Biopsy, which we also have a page explaining,http://melanomainternational.org/melanoma-facts/sentinel-node-biopsy. Your mitotic rate is low risk. Where was the lesion? Thanks Cohanja for sending Deb to the newly diagnosed page and pathology page. Arm yourself with information Deb and it won’t seem so scary, but stick to sites that have the HonCode designation such as we have and also where the forum is moderated for accuracy. Are you going to place of melanoma excellence? That helps too.

Deb3
    Participant

Thank you for the responses! My mole was right below my ribcage. It was biopsies on July 17 but is still very red and itchy and it seems that some of the mole is still there. I expect the itchiness is just the scarring process from the biopsy. Having a portion of the mole still there worries me.

Deb3
    Participant

Oops, I forgot, I am going to the melanoma clinic at University of Michigan so I am assuming I will be in good hands.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The whole mole and area should have been removed in the biopsy.

Deb3
    Participant

There is definitely a portion of the mole still along the edge. I will have to call my dermatologist to see if it is ok to wait another week and a half to see the surgeon. Thanks. The whole thing is very nerve wracking : /

Worrywart
    Participant

Welcome to the forum, and I’m sorry to read of your dx. It is very difficult at first, BUT time will help, have faith in that. If there is still some of the mole on your skin, your path report will indicate that (it will say lateral margins involved). Is there anymore info on your path report? The WLE will remove the rest of the lesion. I would get the SNB, most get it at your depth. All in all your lesion is low risk. Your path report does not have anything that stands out as particularly unusual or risky. The odds are on your side.

Deb3
    Participant

Thank you so much for your info! I have been thinking worse case scenario for 2 weeks and you certainly made me feel better. Thank you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.