• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

In 2006, one-quarter of cancer patients reported that they had used up all or most of their savings paying for care; a study last year reported that 2 percent of cancer patients were driven into bankruptcy by their illness and its treatment. One in 10 cancer patients now reports spending more than $18,000 out of pocket on care.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Now don’t get Worrywart and myself started on health care reform! The debate will go on for a long time. But everyday I get phone calls from folks who can’t afford even the initial biopsy. And then employers like the company that owns Red Lobster and other large chains, only hires part timers to avoid paying for healthcare benefits and skirt the law! It is the undeniable right that all human beings should have health care covered.

7spider
    Participant

So true Catherine. It’s really insane that people are actually denied life saving treatments and procedures because of their financial status or lack of insurance coverage. It’s like, you got the money, the coverage and we can do this, that and the other to try and save your life, but if you don’t well sorry can’t help. Inhumane ! and the rich get richer !

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Hey our legislators who could provide healthcare coverage for all have the best inclusive coverage of all the population. I think it stinks. Socialized medicine in other countries has a much better record on prevention, and our infant mortality rates are despicable because we don’t have free prenatal care. But don’t get me started. There are pitfalls to many of the other country plans too.

Webbie73
    Participant

7spider, it is not only those who do not have the financial means or no insurance who are denied, it is also those with insurance! Insurance companies have taken it upon themselves to decide when and what treatment you get(not talking cancer here) even with your doctor ordering the test or PT. an excellent example of waste and stupidity was when I finally went to an ENT to have my severely deviated septum fixed. The doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray and told me to use it for 1 month and then come back and he would book my surgery. See he had to prove to the insurance company that all other options had been tired first! So, the cost of a prescription which was never used and an extra office visit were covered by insurance….amounted to over $200. The insurance company should have just allowed my ENT to book my surgery right there and then!

I am sure we all have tales and it infuriates me when insurance companies “know” more than doctors. No system is perfect and I know we are just venting here but geesh.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I was refused coverage because my insurance company said I had stage IV melanoma and their doctor thought I was high risk. It was Clarks Level IV. They will use anything they can to deny coverage. They are preventing decent coverage so they can continue with their high for profit income.

7spider
    Participant

I hear ya Webbie, it’s all a scam. Greed and corruption controlling the health and wealfare of the masses. Catherine I to am one that doesn’t need to get started, blood pressure goes up just thinking about it. 😡

Worrywart
    Participant

Catherine, I’ve changed my views on some things, and become more liberal and open minded than I used to be. Something definitely needs to change, but I’m not sure having the Government control healthcare is a good choice – I don’t trust the Government!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I don’t trust the health insurance companies..the govt has controlled medicare for a long time and most folks are happy with it..

7spider
    Participant

Medicare has worked well up until now, but with people living longer and all the baby boomers entering the system it’s facing serious challenges.

wpatterson4
    Participant

It is said that the forces of supply and demand don’t quite apply to the healthcare industry because folks who need healthcare often don’t have the opportunity to shop around. Think unexpected finger loss, for example. I agree totally. I’m a conservative guy (I love my firearms), but I can’t stand to hear someone say that “nobody has a right to healthcare.” That might be true in the strictest sense, but I don’t think those people who say it believe we should just let sick people die because they don’t have the money to pay for a hospital stay.

It pains me to say it, but I favor socialized medicine. I think it would bring some much needed changes to our society – perhaps a few that we haven’t even thought of yet. I don’t believe patients should be forced to participate if they have the money to pursue other options, though. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that most would take part.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Webbie73 wrote:

7spider, it is not only those who do not have the financial means or no insurance who are denied, it is also those with insurance! Insurance companies have taken it upon themselves to decide when and what treatment you get(not talking cancer here) even with your doctor ordering the test or PT. an excellent example of waste and stupidity was when I finally went to an ENT to have my severely deviated septum fixed. The doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray and told me to use it for 1 month and then come back and he would book my surgery. See he had to prove to the insurance company that all other options had been tired first! So, the cost of a prescription which was never used and an extra office visit were covered by insurance….amounted to over $200. The insurance company should have just allowed my ENT to book my surgery right there and then!

I am sure we all have tales and it infuriates me when insurance companies “know” more than doctors. No system is perfect and I know we are just venting here but geesh.

My health insurance company has been quite accommodating.

It’s certain providers I have a problem with. Earlier this year, I wanted a second pathology done for my melanoma. I contacted a well-known hospital that shall remain nameless. They requested all of my medical records, which I then supplied. They then proceeded, without telling me, to order the slides for EVERY SINGLE BENIGN MOLE I had removed after my diagnosis. Of course, my insurance company and I were charged. The bill amounted to about twenty five hundred dollars.

I got screwed, and it wasn’t my insurance company that did it.

krissy424
    Participant

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/index.html” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/index.html

This link above is insurance for all with preexisting conditions. It’s part of the current presidents program. You may want to hold off looking till after the election. This program has a chance of not surviving. Living in California it would cost me approx. $400.00 a month for coverage compared to 1,000+ without this plan.

Personally, we have been hit hard by the bad economy. in spite of working very hard since we were 18, and never taking anything free, it’s impossible for us to afford even lowered cost insurance currently.

If i ever have stage 4, my option will probably be to die. Plain and simple.

This is reality. Thank god it’s me, and not one of our kids.

wpatterson4
    Participant

If Romney wins, I hope he goes back to his roots on this issue.

7spider
    Participant

Biggest problem, is nothing is clear. In this modern age we live in you should be able to walk into a Drs office or hospital and know exactly what you are covered for, the options available and know exactly what it costs. Why such a mystery ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.