• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

“I wanted a second pathology done for my melanoma. I contacted a well-known hospital that shall remain nameless. They requested all of my medical records, which I then supplied. They then proceeded, without telling me, to order the slides for EVERY SINGLE BENIGN MOLE I had removed after my diagnosis.”

That’s absolutely ridiculous. I got about 5 or 6 opinions on my actual melanoma. But, I got no 2nd opinions on the 25-30 benign moles I had biopsied after my diagnosis. Why do that, that serves no purpose of any value?

wpatterson4
    Participant

cohanja wrote:

“I wanted a second pathology done for my melanoma. I contacted a well-known hospital that shall remain nameless. They requested all of my medical records, which I then supplied. They then proceeded, without telling me, to order the slides for EVERY SINGLE BENIGN MOLE I had removed after my diagnosis.”

That’s absolutely ridiculous. I got about 5 or 6 opinions on my actual melanoma. But, I got no 2nd opinions on the 25-30 benign moles I had biopsied after my diagnosis. Why do that, that serves no purpose of any value?

Because it generates revenue. They ripped me off and there was nothing I could do about it. Any discussion of healthcare “costs” should include the outright theft practiced by unscrupulous providers like the aforementioned anonymous hospital. And that’s exactly what it was.

7spider
    Participant

So true Patterson. They do what they want and get away with as much as they can. They know darn well the situation a person is in seeking health care, and will completely do and take everything they can get away with. They also know most people already overwhelmed by the medical bills really can’t afford to pay lawyer bills to challenge these criminal operations. Very sad.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

wpatterson4 wrote:

If Romney wins, I hope he goes back to his roots on this issue.

You mean the roots he denies having? He and his running mate are also planning to put medicare into a voucher program that would go to the private insurance companies. None of the programs have been strong enough for me, covering everyone, but in Europe they pay 50% of their income to taxes, in return, free health, dental, hospital, psychiatric care etc. That would never happen here. But what if we taxed the over 1 million income a year at that rate? Distribute the income a little bit among the rest. And terrific public transportation exists so cars are a rare luxury that you use infrequently. Their plumbing is better too!! I know, radical ideas.

7spider
    Participant

I like radical ideas !

wpatterson4
    Participant

Quote:

You mean the roots he denies having?

Exactly.

The bases of both parties are pretty much filled with people who are both credulous and uninformed. That’s a bad combination that leaves them vulnerable to all sorts of no-goodniks who persuade them to support things that aren’t in their best interests. Politicians who don’t at least pretend to agree with these ideologues won’t get elected.

What I’m saying is that Romney might be telling the faithful what they want to hear on CERTAIN issues, like healthcare.

I lean conservative myself, but I don’t agree with mainstream Republican opinion on some issues, and this is a good example.

Webbie73
    Participant

Right Catherine, his root? Do people forget so quickly?

I would like to know we’re I can get insurance with a $6,000 voucher? In our state if you are an illegal immigrant without insurance or money the state will pay for your baby’s delivery yet my professional daughter with insurance received a bill for in the thousands for her delivery.

As for the present system I place.. At least those of us with cancer can be insured since they allow pre existing conditions.

I agree with Krissy, if I ever reach stage 4, I want to just go. No heroics. Gods will be done.

cohanja
    Participant

” if I ever reach stage 4, I want to just go.”

Do you say that for insurance/financial reasons, or are you saying that because stage 4 is a death sentence regardless of treatments you might try? I think some have said it’s no longer necessarily a death sentence as now there are some new treatments that can extend life, etc…

Webbie73
    Participant

Cojanha, hopefully I never reach stage 4. Right now I am not sure if I would undergo treatment to extend my life it it means months of side effects from treatments and then death. Not my cup of tea. I would rather have, for example, 3 good months without treatment than 6 months of being sick with treatment. A lot depends on what is available to us in the future if we reach stage 4.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Working with stage IV patients daily I have to say they are truly thankful for every moment their life has been extended. They are quite willing to endure and rarely complain about side effects. I am blessed to work with them to find something to keep the melanoma at bay. Certainly our new therapies have been really wonderful and produced some long term remissions. There is much promise out there.

cohanja
    Participant

Would be awfully hard to enjoy “3 good months” without treatment knowing you only have 3 months.

CRody
    Participant

I can’t imagine being denied health care because of ability to pay. That is criminal. The older I get, with more and more health issues, makes me thank God I have the health plan (not health insurance) that I do. It costs me only $15 per doctor’s visit, if there is any charge at all. My lab work, EKG and biopsy cost me nothing. My operation and hospital stay will cost me $15. Meds are $15 for a three month supply. My diabetes test strips are free which encourages me to test frequently to control my blood sugar. The basic premise of my health plan is that preventative medicine will cut costs in the long run, rather than trying to throw a band aid on the problem after it has developed.

msue5
    Participant

The only people that don’t want health reform are the ones that are insured. Why don’t people understand we are already paying for the uninsured by higher premiums for the insured. I am fortunate to have great insurance through my husbands employer. It is free for him and any dependents. He has worked for 34 years for the same company and is a union member and his union fights hard every 3 years when their contract expires to keep their benefits. If people have access to care they will stop using the Emergency Room for their sore throat or a cold.

Mary Sue

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This is so true! Same with good prenatal care, why wait until there is a major issue. Good preventative care is very important to preventing major expensive care, like coronary bypass surgery. Catching any disease early is the best scenario for all involved. And yes, those with the fabulous plans don’t really care about those without.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Catherine,

With the exception of a deductible I’m unsatisfied with, I’d say my insurance is great. However, I still care about those who aren’t insured. I wish the government would help them, especially those who don’t qualify for Medicaid. Also, I’m not so dumb as to assume that I’ll always have good benefits. I have this pre-existing condition, you see. Can y’all guess what it is?

Though I do support socialized medicine, I don’t think we’re discussing the true problem, which is the unnecessary financial burden that even minor, routine hospital (notice I’m not complaining about PHYSICIANS, here) care inflicts on ordinary people. It’s predatory, and often involves outright, but legal, theft, as it did in my case. Even if we never see universal care in the US, I think the government should at least shine a big flashlight on what should be a national scandal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.