Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Shave biopsy – re-excision?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    home
    Participant

Hi all,

Hope you’re all doing as well as you can do.

I had an early-stage melanoma removed this time a year ago on my right forearm with a wide-excision. (http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28262)

I had two suspicious moles removes this week and both, thank god, came back negative. My GP agreed to take one via excision, but only shaved the other, despite my repeated request he do both via excision. In retrospect, I wish I had demanded both be removed via excision (particularly given my background of melanoma) or I would have simply gone to my derm.

I only just today removed the dressing of the shave wound, and by god, it is shallow. In fact, I think I can see some residual mole leftover. I’m now super anxious over this (perhaps unjustifiably so), even though I’ve been given the all-clear. AFAIK, a false negative is super-unlikely, even if the shave was ultra thin – right?

Either way, I’m back next week to have the stitches out (from the other mole site) and was contemplating requesting he excise (not a wide-excision) the shave wound and send off to pathology – for piece of mind, if nothing else. He might very well decline. I’m also seeing my derm soon after so could get his opinion and / or get him to excise.

Is this over the top? Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom.

cohanja
    Participant

if they were benign, why re-excise anything? since my melanoma (almost the same exact pathology as yours), I’ve probably had about 40 biopsies (deep shaves) and none have come back anything more than mild atypia. .and even for that, they don’t go back and re-excise (they said only for moderately to severely atypical would they re-excise). . I probably just make a lot of atypical moles, they can’t remove ’em all. If i ever happen to notice any pigment where any of these biopsies were, then I’d go back in and point it out.

home
    Participant

cohanja wrote:

if they were benign, why re-excise anything? since my melanoma (almost the same exact pathology as yours), I’ve probably had about 40 biopsies (deep shaves) and none have come back anything more than mild atypia. .and even for that, they don’t go back and re-excise (they said only for moderately to severely atypical would they re-excise). . I probably just make a lot of atypical moles, they can’t remove ’em all. If i ever happen to notice any pigment where any of these biopsies were, then I’d go back in and point it out.

thanks for your response, cohanja. i’d like to say this one was a deep shave but i don’t think i could. i should also clarify that i haven’t yet seen the pathology report, nor spoken to my doctor in depth, so this might very well be a mild / moderate (but presumably not severe) dysplastic nevus (is this the right terminology? still learning the lingo 8-) ). TBC.

i guess the reason i’m being a little pedantic is because this mole was in the immediate proximity my wide-excision – as in, where the melanoma once was. it also looks a great deal like the melanoma mole did 1 or so years before it was removed.

with this is mind, might there be residual mole that could turn melanocytic?

apologies if this is all over-the-top – my neurosis plays up when we’re talking moles ;)

home
    Participant

okay, i’ve the pathology report in front of me:

Skin lesion shave biopsy. Tan skin shaving 5x3mm. Processed whole. 1-1A.

The sections show a shave biopsy of skin to the reticular dermis. It contains a benign compound melanocytic (?) naevus. There is no evidence of dysplasia or malignancy.

am I being hypochondriacal? apologies if my worrying is trivial, i’ve just read so many reasons not to get a shave biopsy and i guess i’m just angry at allowing my doctor to do one!

cohanja
    Participant

this is benign, nothing to worry about

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.