Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brandi
    Participant

I was diagnosed with a melanoma in situ in Jan of last year. Had several other Atypical-severe removed at that time as well. Was a nervous wreck for months but have finally chilled a bit since. I just had my full body exam completed in early March. Great dr. that uses my mole mapping pics to evaluate any new growth. I alerted her to one new spot that I did not see on my mole map pics. She decided to go ahead and biopsy. Biopsy results came back with no bad news. I should also report that since that initial diagnosis I have been a bit on the overly concerned side. I have a new weird sore than won’t heal and looks really weird. It I feel a little silly calling the dr. So soon after my last visit. All of my super awesome dr. Google searches make me lean toward some sort of ingrown hair type of issue but I can’t seem to quit worrying about it. I would love to post a pic so that you can all say. It’s fine. Go to sleep😔

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry about bothering the doctor. You probably can have a televisit with the doctor and they can look at the lesion. Better be safe with this! But don’t use google to supply your answer. Let us know how things go.

Catherine Poole President/founder MIF

Brandi
    Participant

Always the voice of reason. Thank you Dr. Poole. I will call for an appointment to see my dr. Sincerely, Brandi

Brandi
    Participant

UPDATE (sorry for the lengthy question)
    I was able to schedule a telehealth visit with my Dermatologist. She was able to view the “sore” through my camera. Her initial thought was that it might be some kind of infection but she wasn’t sure. I expressed my concerns that it might be a SCC. We decided in the end to schedule an office visit for the next day. The following day, I honestly thought that the site looked a little different, I would say more like a sore in the healing process. My Dr. disagreed. She agreed that it DID look different, but in her opinion, it now had the characteristics of a SCC. She performed a punch biopsy. So basically from my untrained eye, she cut out a small piece from the middle of the legion. The whole legion was approximately 10 to 12 mm at that point. She reported that it was solid with no exudate. I went back to her office today ( one week later) to have stitches removed and to get the results of the biopsy.

The good news is that the Dermopathologist did not find signs of carcinoma. The bad news is that basically they don’t know what the heck it is. It has grown since the biopsy (it now measures 14 mm per the dermo’s measurement today). The plan is to watch it for the couple of weeks and if it continues to grow, we will take another biopsy. I do feel like the middle part of this lesion (the part that was biopsied) looked different the the rest of the lesion. It was sort of soft looking, in fact, we were both expecting to see some excudate when she cut into the middle for the biopsy. The rest of the lesion is hard and scaly looking.
    The following is the report from the Dermopathologist:
    Final Pathologic Diagnosis:
    Skin, right anterior thigh, punch biopsy;
    -Distoted follicular inclusion, with plugged keratinaceous debris and focal dyskeratosis, transected.
    Comment: This is a challenging lesion to evaluate with certainty, because there is so much secondary change present. I somewhat favor that this is a localized area of previous trauma, cyst rupture, folliculitis, foreign body intrusion or similar process. Much of the specimen is obscured by pseudoepitheliomatous hyperplasia, benign metaplasia and evolving scar and inflammation. Although definitive neoplasm or carcinoma is not noted, continued careful surveillance of this area is strongly recommended. End Report.

I don’t remember having any damage or seeing any type of sore on this part of my body prior to what I saw when this all started 3 to 4 weeks ago. I guess my question is, does this all sound pretty normal? Are there any red flags that I should be aware of? Has anyone had a similar lesion?
    I appreciate this site so much!
    Sincerely,
    Brandi

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It all sounds good! I’m happy you have a good report from the doctor. Take care.

Catherine Poole, President and founder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.