Home Forums Melanoma: Stage III Silly me!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Linny
    Participant

OK, so two days ago I noticed that my left arm (the one on which I had the LND) was feeling achy. I attributed this achy feeling to the snowy weather we’re experiencing in central PA and decided to put on my compression sleeve. My arm felt better right away. But as the day wore on, I noticed a sore area begin to develop close to where I’d had the drain from the surgery. I’d check it and could not see a mark so I attributed it to some swelling.

I guess one thing you should not do is fall asleep with your compression sleeve on because the next morning I woke up with a swollen left hand. My right hand was swollen too but it was the left one that alarmed me. Off came the compression sleeve and I began some massage. Thankfully the swelling subsided.

But that sore area I’d noticed the other day was pretty tender. By the end of the day I noticed a small red mark in the tender area. 😮 As it was, it just happened to line up with where the underwire on my bra ended. 😆 Note to self: no more underwire bras.

So ladies and husbands with wives who’ve had LND’s: beware of underwire bras! They bite! If this story made someone smile, shake their head, or roll their eyes, good! :mrgreen:

My arm is still achy, though not any larger than usual. The tender area feels fine and the red mark is now gone. But our weather is still lousy. :( Thank God I have compression sleeves.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Linny,

You had me cracking up. I too have said bye bye to underwires. When I was working I actually had to go into the bathroom once and yank the wire out. It was biting me too. lol

We had about 20 inches of snow in the past week. Even though my LND was in my leg, I now have post thrombosis in my arm from where I had the bloodclots a little over a yr ago. Do you wear a hand gauntlet as well as your sleeve? I wear both but I still get big creases in the wrist area where the sleeve ends. It was professioanlly fitted as well as the one for my leg and I always have big creases in the ankle too (where I have a lot of swelling). I keep thinking how can this be good. I KNOW the weather plays a big part in it. It is always worse for me a day or two before a storm. Nights are really bad also.

Thanks for the laugh.

Shirley Z

Linny
    Participant

Hi Shirley,

I’m glad that my sordid underwire bra story made you laugh. :mrgreen:

We have about 5-6 inches of snow, which isn’t much but it sure does look pretty outside.

No, I don’t wear a hand gauntlet. If I wear the sleeve properly it does a good job of keeping the fluid out of my hand. The difference is actually quite dramatic and most noticeable in hot weather and after doing yardwork.

I have two sleeves: a Juzo Dreamsleeve and a LympheDiva sleeve. The Juzo doesn’t give me creases but the LympheDiva sleeve does when I put it on initially. Both have pluses and minuses. The LympheDiva is cooler and lighter but the Juzo is easier to get on. The LympheDiva takes a few wearings to get used to because the fabric is somewhat ribbed and can pinch your skin. But it’s so gosh darn pretty!

Thanks for mentioning that the weather plays a part in how comfortable or uncomfortable an affected limb can feel. It’s comforting to hear that. I don’t wear my sleeve all the time but I do my massages on a daily basis. The last time I wore one was back in September for a round trip flight.

If I end up on my left side when I sleep it can get pretty dicey. But I’m not sure how much of that has to do with anything post LND versus a case of shoulder tendinitis.

My mom has thrombosis in one of her legs and yes, it can get quite uncomfortable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Stage III’ is closed to new topics and replies.