Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Skin regeneration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CRody
    Participant

My original excision on the bottom of my foot to remove two tumors left me with a hole about 8cm X 6cm X 1cm. I was placed on a Wound Vac, started taking Juven Tissue Building drinks and protein powder twice a day, and keeping my carbs between 20 and 45 grams per day to keep my blood glucose low to aid in healing. In seven weeks the wound had shrunk to about 6cm X 3.5cm, with about 8-9mm of fresh granulated ”meat” within the wound. Tuesday, I had an additional excision to widen the margins several mm on three sides, leaving a new wound 7.5cm X 5cm. it is several mm and not much more than the thickness of the skin on the big toe side and several more mm and 1 cm deep on the little toe side. I am back on the Wound Vac.

I discussed plastic surgery with the plastic surgeon. After full granulation of the new excision, a layer of collagen would be placed down, allowed to “take”, then a thin slice of skin from my thigh would be grafted over the wound. He said that this new skin would never be like sole of the foot skin, and my walking would be limited, normal walking around the house, going to the store, but never long hikes along the beach or up into the mountains or long sightseeing trips to Europe.

Later, I talked to the wound care nurse who suggested looking into letting it heal naturally, with new skin regeneration since I was healing so well before the second excision. I researched the internet with not much success other than very scientific papers.

Has anyone let a fairly large wound heal naturally, and if so, what are the pros and cons? Any information or discussion would be appreciated.

washoegal
    Participant

Not very good choices there. I have had large open wounds heal naturally but they were not on the bottom of the foot. While other than the look of the scar tissue I was happy with the way they healed. Do you have time to make a quick appointment with a podiatrist and discuss it with him. That’s about all I can think of.

Good luck,

Mary

CRody
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I have been e-mailing with my podiatrist and have an appointment with wound care on Thursday. I have a while to make a decision but I’d like to get as much info as I can about it.

Anonymous

You can go to the surgeon probably to get it fixed. These things definitely need time to heal and it may keep the spots behind too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.