Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Small Intestine surgery update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    erinmay22
    Participant

Hey Gang –

Catherine left a quite note but surgery went well. It was done Thursday morning. Glad I went the surgery route since the tumor was much bigger than anyone expected (especially given how few symptoms I had).

The surgeon was pretty sure she was able to get the tumor. They probably took about 6-8″ of the intestine. She also tried to get as many lymph nodes as she could. Will have the pathology back in a week or so.

Recovery has gone well so far. They are taking the epidural out today and hopefully that means heading home tomorrow. Was able to have my first solid foods since last Tuesday today. Just trying to take it easy!! Coughing seems to be what hurts the most. Just trying to keep walking and resting! And SO looking forward to a shower!

Mary Sue – hope your surgery went well and they were able to get it done by VATs vs open.

Cheers,

Erin

(I put a few updates on my blog during my stay. Oct 6th, 2010 was the day I had my original mole removed. Lots has happen in 2 years… http://melanomaandthecity.blogspot.com/2012/10/weekend-chillin-at-sloan.html )

msue5
    Participant

Hi Erin

They were able to do my surgery by Vats.No results from pathology yet. I have an epidural catheter that wraps arund my ribs. Its called On Q. It is a reservoir filled with Lidocaine. It worked well the first few days but have had a lot of rib pain yesterday and today. I am glad you’re recovering well. Abd surgery is the worst. I had 2 a year apart and I used an Abd binder. It was the only way I could cough without feeling like I was tearing my Abd apart. This is my 6th surgery for Melanoma since diagnosis Jan 2012. It gets old! So we both are playing the waiting game. My surgeon said results by Mon (today) but I think that was a little optimistic. Continue healing well.

Mary Sue

Shirley Z
    Participant

Erin and Mary Sue,

I have been thinking of of you and was wondering how you were doing. Happy to hear that both surgeries went well.

Hoping your recoveries continue to be free of complications and that each day will be a little easier.

You are both inspirations to me!

Shirley Z

erinmay22
    Participant

Oh MarySue – wow 6 surgeries since Jan 2012? I thought I had it rough with this being my 4th since Oct 2010. Coughing is the WORST! I did have the epidural out today. Tummy is feeling pretty tight…

I hope you start feeling better. Pretty sure we don’t need the pathology report on this one to know it’s melanoma.

Thinking of you!

And Shirley – thanks for the note lady! Hope you’re doing well!!

msue5
    Participant

Erin I meant to say 6 surgeries since Jan 2010!

Mary Sue

Anonymous

I’m glad you two are recovering well. Let’s hear it for solid food!

Jeff

msue5
    Participant

Thank you for thinking of us Jeff even when you have your own issues to deal with.

Mary Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.