Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Soft lump below WLE Scar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ckratina
    Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma in situ on my neck last March. Had WLE performed with 1cm margins. Developed swollen lymph node just below site of WLE. Surgical Oncologist told me it was soft and movable and was probably due to inflammation from WLE. Everything was going fine until recent visit to my general practicioner. He said my lymph node in my neck was still swollen and noticed small swollen area of skin just below WLE scar. He wanted me to get a follow up appointment with the surgical oncologist. Called the surgical oncologist office and they told it is nothing to be worried about. The nurse told me that it was up to me if i wanted to make a follow up appointment. Unsure of what to do.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Make the appointment. It’s better to have someone examine the issue than to waste six months wondering if this thing is getting bigger/worse. Plus, your doctor recommended it.

Do you have your pathology report? You said your melanoma was in-situ, but does the report say anything about fibrosis or regression in the dermis under or around the melanoma? Did your WLE get infected?

Always remember that the doctors work for you. If you want something done, tell them so. And don’t listen to nurses.

Lisa P
    Participant

I totally agree. Make an appointment with an oncologist who can run whatever tests are necessary and then assure you all is well. Otherwise, it will always be in the back of your mind… Lisa

barb3246
    Participant

Its most likely nothing serious, but I would have it checked for peace of mind. If you’re a worrier like me, it would always be in the back of my mind until I had it looked at.

Laurie
    Participant

Count me in on making an appointment as well. The surgeon’s office may be right that it is nothing, but I don’t think I could relax until I found out. Good Luck! Let us know how you make out. Wishing you good things!!! Laurie

HoolieB
    Participant

wpatterson4 wrote:

(snip)

Did your WLE get infected?

(snip)

Uh oh, would you mind letting us know how that may be important…? (So asks the woman who had her WLE/skin grafts get infected last year.)

Thank you!

wpatterson4
    Participant

Hoolie,

No cause for alarm. I was just trying to find a cause, other than melanoma, for a lymph node to be enlarged. Infections and illnesses can do that. A mild case of shingles I had in college resulted in one of my axillary nodes swelling to the size of a marble.

HoolieB
    Participant

wpatterson4 wrote:

Hoolie,

No cause for alarm. I was just trying to find a cause, other than melanoma, for a lymph node to be enlarged. Infections and illnesses can do that. A mild case of shingles I had in college resulted in one of my axillary nodes swelling to the size of a marble.

Whew! Thanks! Not that we melanoma patients are paranoid or anything… 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.