Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Stage 1A, how long for WLE?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MrSco
    Participant

Hi,

I got call from my doctor at the weekend saying a mole he removed 8 days ago had come back stage 1A melanoma. I was in shock to be honest and did not say much. The doctor said it is standard procedure to perform a wide level excision for this condition. I agreed and said the sooner the better. Two questions:

1. I rang his office today and they have me scheduled in for a WLE in 9 days time, I am very anxious about the whole thing, should I be pushing for the WLE to be performed sooner?

2. No mention from the doctor of a requirement for lymph node biopsy, what should I be asking when I go in for my WLE? should I request a lymph node check?

Thanks

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Welcome to our forum. You didn’t mention the Breslow or depth of your lesion. I would guess it is a low risk lesion. Nine days is fine for the Wide Excision as the biopsy most likely took care of the melanoma. But you should educate yourself about your pathology and what to expect. Be sure to read about Newly Diagnosed and our webinar on Pathology under the WEbinar tab above. Both are in the BLUE section above. Try to find out more and ask for a copy of your pathology so we can help you understand it better. In time, you will find it less scary and far better to educate yourself thoroughly.

MrSco
    Participant

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am consuming information on the topic now, the resources on this site are a great help. I will request the full pathology and update.

Really appreciate your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.