Home Forums Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II Stage 2B- Use Interferon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chas66
    Participant

Hi, Stage 2B, surgery the first week of January, Tumor Breslow 4.5, Sentinel Lymp Node Biopsy shows the lymph node in my groin was clear. Oncologist giving me the option of Interferon or watch and wait. Anyone who has been in a similar position, how did you make this difficult decision?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

This was on your foot correct? I hope Shirley will answer with her similar experience. Welcome to the forum though, happy to have you here for support and advice.

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Chase,

I am 7 yrs out from a stage IIIC melanoma diagnosis on my big toe. I had a very deep primary. Breslow depth of almost 12mm. I had a plapable matted cluster in my groin. Ulcerated and vascular invasion.

I had surgery to amputate my big toe and a deep groin LND. I was also offered interferon. I chose to watch and wait. I did have a recur in my shin at my 3 yr mark, also surgically removed. I have done well since then with the exception of lymphedema.

My choice was to keep my immune system as strong as possible and since I was able to have everything surgically removed that is what I opted for. It is a viable option. Not everyone feels comfortable taking that route but for me it was the right choice.

You have to be comfortable with whatever you decide.

When I was first diagnosed, interferon was really pushed. Since then there has been a lot of controversy and some of the top centers no longer recommend it. Its not an easy decision. You really need to do your research.

Good Luck to you! Stay in touch.

Shirley Z

chas66
    Participant

Shirley, thanks for the response. Congratulations and good luck to you as well, it’s great to hear that you are doing good. Did you do anything special to keep your immune system strong? I’m reading alot of literature now about diets that may help.

chas66
    Participant

Catherine Poole wrote:

This was on your foot correct? I hope Shirley will answer with her similar experience. Welcome to the forum though, happy to have you here for support and advice.

Catherine, yes, my melanoma is on the bottom of my foot, it was a birthmark that went awry. Thanks for the kind welcome.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Diets low in meat, high in local, organically grown produce are usually good. Exercise and meditation are also good for your immune system (proven scientificially!) Let us know how you are doing!

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Chas,

Wow a birthmark that went away? I’m not sure I have ever heard of that, especially in that area. How are you doing with walking?

As far as diet I really haven’t changed much. I very seldom eat red meat. I just take a good multi vitamin and green tea supplements. I rarely get sick and try to avoid going around people that are.

I’m not sure why some people progress and others don’t. Maybe just luck. All I know is when I was first diagnosed my prognosis was very grim. I’m still here, so I really don’t place too much importance on stats.

Wishing you the best in your recovery process.

Shirley Z

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Shirley, he meant awry not away, a birth mark that turned into melanoma. This is what happened with mine too. I had a birthmark all of my life that changed to melanoma. I think this happens pretty often. Happy you are doing well Shirley too!

chas66
    Participant

Hi Shirley, not walking yet, it’s been 3 weeks since the surgery. The area they took out was pretty large (it’s a little over 4 inches in diameter) and very deep, they used 2 skin grafts to cover. Doc says I may be able to walk on it a little bit by mid February. What have I learned? Well, there are too many Bonanza and Law & Order reruns on TV during the day!

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Chas,

Sorry I misread that post. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

I know what you mean about the tv shows. I spent a lot of time in my recliner after my surgery.

I hope you are healing well from the skin grafts. I hear sometimes they can be worse than the actual surgery.

Keep us posted.

Shirley Z

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.