Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Stage 2C questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tico1
    Participant

My niece was recently diagnosed with stage IIC melanoma. Her original path report said the tumor was 4.24mm, ulcerated with a mitotic rate of 9. She recently had WlE and a SNB which was negative! Whew! Anyway I have a few questions and was hopin someone here can help me..

1. Why are the statistics for 5 year survival for 5c so low? I know statistics are statistics (my mother is on year 4 with stage 4 lung cancer). But they are much lower than 3a and even lower than 3b

2. We are looking into the MAVIS pol-103a vaccine study. Does anyone have any information or experience with this study?

3. We have been given the no interferon advice fromm few doctors. This seems to make sense but I read a study that says its more effective for ulcerated tumors? Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks you so much for your help!

Tico1
    Participant

Sorry for the typos I am on my phone!

chas66
    Participant

I’m 2B (no ulceration) and it was explained to me that the ulceration (2C) is what causes the lower survival rate of a 2C vs a 3A. My oncologist said that if I was 2C he would have pushed hard to do the interferon since I decided against it. He said interferon had a bigger impact when there was an ulceration present.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.