Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Stage II treatment questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    amandamni
    Participant

My husband first spotted my mole earlier this year while I was pregnant. I am 34 with an 8 year old and a now 6 month old. It was on my upper back so I would never had seen it. I foolishly waited until this past September to have it checked out. In Oct. I received the terrifying news of stage II melanoma. The next month was a whirlwind of appointments and I was scheduled for a SNB and WLE. The results came back clear! What a huge relief! I then saw my oncologist and he wants me to do a year of Interferon? I was so disappointed! I thought this was over? I do have an appointment for a second opinion this week.

Here are the details from my path report:

( the first paragraph is a lot of language I do not understand I am going to ask that he walk me through it)

Breslow depth: 1.00 mm

Clark’s level IV

Regression: early partial regression is present

Ulceration: absent

Mitoses: none identified

Here are my questions

1) everything I have read indicates that this is stage 1?

2) Have any of you completed Interferon and would you do it again?

3) What kind of side effects did you experience?

I appreciate any insight that you all have!

Amanda

hillcountrygirl2
    Participant

Hi Amanda,

I just saw your post and wanted to give you my support in what I know is a scary situation. My mels were smaller than yours, but from everything I have read here and elsewhere, I think a year of interferon would not be helpful and would probably be very hard for a young mom to go through. To me, you do seem to be a Stage 1b, so even more reason to question this. I am sure the experts will weigh in, but I just wanted to encourage you for researching and questioning this suggested treatment.

Best wishes!

Betsy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.