Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Standard/protocol for getting eyes checked?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

What is the standard protocol for how often someone with 1A SSM should get their eyes examined? I had doctors tell me upon diagnosis to get my eyes checked, so I did, and I am going to again a year later; but, how often is this recommended, every year, or just a few times up front and then not again for a while or at all unless symptoms? I wasn’t sure why they said to get my eyes checked, I didn’t think SSM and ocular mel were at all related.

goldengirl2011
    Participant

You are correct, SSm & Ocular Melanoma aren’t related. I get my eyes checked annually, mostly due to cataracts & to check my overall vision.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

That’s correct, no correlation whatsoever! A melanoma center knows that. One that doesn’t has folks getting gyn checks for mucosal and eye exams for ocualar. Both are rare and NOT related to cutaneous melanoma.

Lisa P
    Participant

I go every six months just because it makes me feel better, but know that the three I am no more likely to develop ocular melanoma than anyone else, versus having additional ones show up on my skin, which I am much more prone to than the normal population. What I’m not sure about is vaginal melanoma. Is there a greater propsensity /increased odds of getting that if you’ve had cutaneous melanoma?

cohanja
    Participant

I believe that would be mucousal, which, I think, like ocular, is different than cutaneous.

cohanja
    Participant

I went initially and then again in a year. But the Dr said I don’t need to be seen again for couple years. . and, like Catherine said, no correlation whatsoever

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Right neither mucosal (vagina, anall or nasal or other muscous membranes melanomas are related to cutaneous. Probably an odd genetic mutation, we just don’t know! And ocular melanoma is also an odd disease that isn’t related to cutaneous melanoma. Both can be very serious and spread to organs like cutaneous if not caught early. Also, Acral melanoma which is found on the palms, soles of feet, under fingernails/toenails has an unknown cause. All are thankfully rare.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.