Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Starting BRAF/MEK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven
    Participant

Hello all – if you have done this combo can you please tell me of your experience and side effects? Thanks.

MathewR
    Participant

Steven, I’ve been on the combo since August. My side effects have been mild and very manageable –some joint pain, foot pain, acne. The most common side effect and the one to watch is high fever (which I haven’t head). Best of luck.

Steven
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Mathew. Can you tell me, if you worked or exercised before starting the drugs, how has it effected either?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I am guessing you are mentioning the GSK braf/mek? So as we’ve discussed before, fevers seem to be the most complained about side effect and you can sometimes offset them with prophylactic advil/tylenol. Be sure to discuss with your doctor. Also, you might want to look at the Novartis trial that has a combo that is promising and doesn’t have fevers.

MathewR
    Participant

Steven, I work full time (knowledge/office work) and have not missed a day of work due to side effects. At worst, I may have taken Advil once or twice. As for exercise, among other things, I live in the city and walk to work (35 min) everyday if that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

Steven
    Participant

When you say live in the city do you mean NYC? If so, where are you being treated?

MathewR
    Participant

Small “c” city. I live in Philadelphia and am being treated at UPenn (Dr. Schuchter). I have also consulted with Dr. Wolchok at Sloan.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.