• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lellis
    Participant

ACK! It’s been a week since my biopsy, and still no word. The derm told me he would CALL if the news were bad, send a letter if it was benign, so “slow news is good news”. Here’s the thing . . . the dermatologist is located in the same hospital with the pathology lab. Literally, just a few floors away. And the hospital is one zip code away from me. Even if he mailed a letter, how freaking long does it take?? I’m trying not to stress, but it’s hard not to. I finally called this morning and left a message. Still haven’t hear back. Bleh.

Webbie73
    Participant

I agree waiting is just the pits. Hang in there.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Call the doctor and find out! And make sure the lab has a dermatopathologist on staff reading the report. But I wouldn’t hesitate to call and tell them you are anxious to hear. Let us know how you make out.

Lisa P
    Participant

I’m with Catherine. Pick up the phone and call! I waited more than a week for my last (or next-to-last) biopsy, which came backas normal (hooray)! No doubt, the waiting was absolutely horrible, and I totally sympathize with your predicament. For whatever it’s worth, I’ve been through many biopsies now and have made a deal with my doc: As soon as a biopsy comes back, one of two things happen: 1) her staff calls to tell me it’s nothing terrible (i.e., it’s either benign or atypical) or, she calls me herself to tell me it came back positive for melanoma, at which point she gets to talk me off the ceiling and help me stay calm. This means letting me know if the biopsy itself was clear around the margin, giving a pep talk about how great it is that we found it and are on top of things, and so on. Please don’t wait another minute and let us know how it goes. In the meantime, I’ll be sending good thoughts your way, L

lellis
    Participant

Thanks, everybody. I did call this morning and left a message, but didn’t get a call back. I’m kind of annoyed by that. I mean, if they don’t have the results yet, tell me! If it was benign and they mailed out a letter this morning or whatever, tell me!!

I’m really trying not to be anxious, but it’s hard not to be. I’ve lost two people to melanoma in the past, and watched my Dad as he went through four surgeries in two months. I think my anxiety is well founded but, of course, doesn’t help the situation. So glad there are places like this where people understand.

krissy424
    Participant

I’ve never told anyone what happened the week i was diagnosed. i had the first excision on a Friday. When I had heard nothing by Wednesday afternoon i phoned the derms office. The lady at the desk was kind enough to offer me a copy after she explained the doctor was out of state. i drove the 3 miles to the office and finally got a copy of my path report. I could see the fax info on the bottom. The dermatopathologist had and faxed the report within 72 hours of receiving the specimen. It was a highly detailed report positive for melanoma. So, i had an appointment to see the derm on Monday and a report in my hand that scared me half to death. I came to this forum (thanks, google) and all was explained so i could understand. It made for a relaxing weekend knowing I had an excellent prognosis at Stage I A, Breslow .55, Clark II and radial growth phase. Just goes to show, probably every single one of us has gone through this experience where time seems to stand still while we wait.

Kris

lellis
    Participant

YAHOO!!! Had a call this morning from the Dr office, letting me know that my mole was benign!!! I’m so relieved. I’m wondering if it was just irritated from constantly being rubbed by my shoes and that led to inflammation, triggering the immune response that made the color start regressing. Who knows??? In any event, all is well. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive while I freaked out. Oh, and lesson learned . . . I will NEVER miss my skin check appointment again. Every 6 months like clockwork.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good news. And keep up the self-exams as well!

Worrywart
    Participant

Congrats on good news! I was just about to respond and say that bad news travels faster! (at least my experience)

YankeesGirl
    Participant

That is great news lellis! Enjoy the night!!!

Lisa P
    Participant

Fantastic!!!! You made my night! :-)

scienceteacher89
    Participant

So happy that all went well!!! The anxiety alone is enough to send anyone over the edge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.