• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    meech68
    Participant

Hi All

My wife was diagnosed with melanoma 3 years ago(mole on her upper back). Everything did turn out fine. The tumour was thin and the sentinel lymph node test came back fine. This week she went to her Dermatologist for her semi-annual check up and the doctor was concerned with her big toe. During her pregnancy her big toe turned partly black (3 years ago). The dermatologist has been monitoring the toe for the last couple of years and was not too concerned until now. The nail fell off my wife’s toe and because of this the Doctor wants to perform a biopsy. The Doctor did get a colleague to provide a second opinion – The colleague was not too concerned with the toe however because of my wives’ previous bout with melanoma they want to err on the side of caution and go ahead with the biopsy. Well I am freaking out…how common is this type of cancer. My wife is Caucasian 38 years old. The color on her big toe has actually gotten lighter and started to recede and her toe nail has been growing back.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

First of all, cutaneous melanoma which is what your wife had initially had has NOTHING to do with what could possibly be acral lentigious melanoma (subungual). Did your wife damage her nail, bang her toe on something? Where is she going for treatment? Your wife is lucky to have you look out for her. We’re here to help you.

meech68
    Participant

She never damaged her nail, it turned partly black while she was pregnant 3 years ago. The Dermatologist has been monitoring the nail for the last couple of years so this is not a new thing. She is going for treatment at Women’s College Hospital (located in Toronto, Canada). Thanks for responding back to my post..

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

So I guess a biopsy won’t hurt if the nail is already gone..and see what it shows. But as I said the initial lesion she had a few years ago was cutaneous melanoma not the type you find in a nail bed, no connection.

meech68
    Participant

thanks Catherine. i made a mistake in my initial post. It is the fourth toe that has the issue not the big toe. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

No, doesn’t make a difference. But it is worrisome that your docs may be confusing two distinctly different types of melanoma which are unrelated.

meech68
    Participant

Therefore is its correct to say that the cutaneous melanoma she had does not increase her chance of getting acral lentigious melanoma? if that is the case is this biopsy not worth it? They doctor’s did say that they are not too concerned however due to her history of melanoma a biopsy should be performed to rule out cancer.

What questions should would be asking the doctors? Any help is much appreciated. I find this site a God send, when my wife first got diagnosed with melanoma 2.5 years ago this site and the people on it helped me through that difficult time. So a big thank you to Catherine and all the members.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

absolutely correct! Two distinct types, cutaneous normally caused by UV exposure, sun and tanning lamps, and acral with unknown cause and appears in people of color as well as white population. No correlation in any of the literature between the two.

meech68
    Participant

My concern now is this biopsy really needed. She will have damage to her toe..well the decision is up to her.

Webbie73
    Participant

A little damage to a toe would be worth it for me if I could rule out melanoma!

Lisa P
    Participant

I totally agree. If they recommended a biopsy, I would insist on moving forward if for nothing more than my peace of mind when it comes back as a big nothing! Lisa

marti
    Participant

Can only agree with the previois advices, get a biopsy.

I had a thin melanoma 3,5 years ago, SNB came out clear(Caucasian female, no high risk for subungual melanoma – but it can happen)

Since July I did see a thin black line under my toe-nail, starting from the middle of the nail. By looking carefully it appeared as one line wth a stop in between, as two indivdual trains, later it looked like 3 individual trains so I went to see the derm in september. She told me, it looked more lake a bloodcloth, and a biopsy through the toenail was possible but difficult, and advised me to wait one month.She took pictures. In a month the line did grew out, and it was visible to see a part of the black line onder nail at the end. She was visible happy and confimred me: this is not a melanoma, but a blood cloth. Coming home I took a pair of tweezers and could pull part the black line out solidly…. so I never heard about a melanoma thats is lying between two layers. As you can understand I was very, VERY releaved, but:

I was ready for a biopsy through the nail or: the removal of a nail, in order to get a biopsy.

Even in the unlikely event of a subungual melanoma its better to know for sure.

Marti.

Lisa P
    Participant

I have had three melanomas in the last two years — all were caught in time, excised, and no further treatment was called for. A few months ago, I noticed three thin lines under one of my toenails and almost came unglued. I was sure it was going to be bad news. I camped out at my derm’s office on Monday morning and she immediately identified the lines as “blood splinters.” Absolutely nothing to worry about. I was also told that melanoma doesn’t present itself in the same way as blood splinters and that it would likely appear as a dark spot at the bed of the nail. I would advise anyone on this site to check out anything that’s different or concerning, but try not to panic. Take care and let us know what the tests reveal. Sending good thoughts, Lisa

meech68
    Participant

Hi All

Thanks for your posts. My wife went for her biopsy. The doctor’s are very optimistic, they mentioned that there was no pigment in the skin (under her toe.). Results should be ready in two weeks.

meech68
    Participant

Hi All

My wife went in today to get her biopsy results – she was told that her biopsy of her nail did not show anything (any pigmentation) as a result they have to do another biopsy to completely rule out melanoma. Have any of you ever heard of this? The Doctor was confused that my wife nail did have a purple mark on it however on the biopsy it does not show up as pigmentation? Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.