• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    krissy424
    Participant

This is mostly a vent post. i had a very hard time emotionally at the public swimming pool the past week. Here on the Calif coast in the fog nobody has home swimming pools, that leaves the ones ran by the county if you want your kids to swim. All these kids with dark suntans..do the parents have any clue what they are setting the kids up for later in life? The child with a sun hat and a parent applying sunscreen is no where near this pool. How do we get these parents educated? i would never say anything because the time and place is wrong to me. If they only knew how many in their 20s and 30s now have melanoma and how life changing this disease is.

Kris

cohanja
    Participant

I guess the silver lining in our diagnosis is that we’ll be more conscious about our kids health – feed them healthier, protect them from the sun, etc..

Webbie73
    Participant

I have heard people bragging about their beautiful tan! It is so easy for people to just put out of their minds the damage the sun can do. I they don’t get it…a tan is not damage only a sunburn is damage. NOT.

People also neglect to re apply sunscreen.

Worrywart
    Participant

Everything in moderation! Avoiding a blistering sunburn is not that difficult, and blistering sunburns are what increase risk. I have 3 children and they have never had a sunburn. They wear rash-guards, sunglasses and hats when we go to the pool. My oldest still has a slight tan due to his skin tone. My younger two remain pretty fair. Time will tell if sunblock plays a role in the development of melanoma. I do not put sunblock on my kids if they will only be outside for 30 minutes…no matter what time of day. I would rather they get a little sun than put all that crap on their skin. It seems wrong, unhealthy, and unnatural. The sun is natural and beneficial in many ways. My kids will NEVER step foot in a tanning salon. That is also unnatural and what I believed caused my melanoma (i started tanning in a bed at age 15).

Jenni
    Participant

I agree with the statement, everything in moderation!

I will vent a bit too, since I just returned from a 10 day vacation in Mexico. I saw SO many burnt people and kids, it was sad. Also, my family (well, my in laws) all forgot sunscreen and burnt themselves as well. All had a laugh or two as well when I wore my long sleeved shirts to visit ruins and at the beach when I was covered up….as well as my 20 month old daughter. BUT it doesn’t bother me….not too much anymore, let them laugh, at least I don’t have a painful sunburn :) My daughter has a full body swimsuit and a few rash guards she wore in the day as well. It is sad, really, even when those close to you don’t realize the dangers AFTER they know what happened to you.

I don’t believe a little sun will hurt you either, just a slight color, it is just bound to happen sometimes, especially in Mexico in August, my arms are slightly darker, BUT it is important not to burn and peel, for sure. And people STILL don’t get it. There was a 20 month old blond girl, like my daughter, and she was SUPER tan and her face was red as a tomato.

Sorry, I am rambling…just wanted to say hello and check in!

Jenni

cohanja
    Participant

Where can you get full body swimsuits? Adult and child?

Jenni
    Participant

Hers is from SundayAfternoons. It is great. I love it. I think it was like $45.00.

I guess it doesn’t go to her ankles, but about mid calf. I only have to sunscreen her hands….face a bit (but she wears a hat most of the time) and her lower calf/feet. It has a slight mock neck too. Coolibar has some as well. I like the quality of the stuff from Sunday Afternoons. I have a swim shirt from them as well.

I also got my daughter (she is 20 mon) a few sunshirts from them and also a nice one from Patagonia….to wear in the sun, when not swimming.

Jenni

Worrywart
    Participant

cohanja – i cannot remember if your twins are boys or girls, but old navy and gap have great swim suits for boys. my boys wear long shorts and long sleeve rash guards from gap and i have very little areas exposed that i need to put sunblock on. For girls, http://www.coolibar.com has some great suits. Old Navy has long sleeve rash guards for girls too. I put it over my daughter’s one piece with a hat and she’s pretty well covered.

Worrywart
    Participant

Just checked and http://www.coolibar.com is having a great sale on swimwear – maybe a good time to buy for next year!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.