Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Sunburn and Zelboraf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dick_K
    Participant

I had the honor and privilege to attend Safe From the Sun 2013 this past Sunday. It was great to see so many people supporting melanoma. It was a beautiful day although a bit windy and not very warm. And the sun, very bright, no clouds.

I forgot my usual sunscreen and purchased a replacement locally that was applied twice in the period of three hours. For anyone on Zelboraf who might be wondering if photosensitivity becomes less of a problem the longer you stay on it, I can state based on my experience, it does not. I ended up with quite a sunburn. (What a dope, I won’t make that mistake again.)

Dick

erinmay22
    Participant

Dick – I was going to ask you about being outside all day and still being on Z. I applied sunscreen on several occasions and still had a red face – think some of it was wind burn? :) And actually thought my poor hands were red a bit also. Mainly in places where I’ve gotten sunburns while on Z last year.

As an odd / stinky tip for dealing with a sunburn – I swear that apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar) works wonders! If I’m quick to apply it after sun exposure it seems to really minimize any peeling or burn. You’ll just smell like a bad salad all day! lol!

Erin

NZjanet
    Participant

Yes I too forget. I was burnt on the neck last week. I thought my wide brimmed hat had me covered, but the sun angle is sliding – we’re heading into winter – and all it took was half an hour and a small shaft of sun.

Thanks for the apple cider tip Erin. I’ve never tried that. Aloe Vera is also good for relieving the pain of a burn, especially taken straight from the plant.

Janet.

erinmay22
    Participant

Janet – no problem. just remember it’s the vinegar not the juice :) lol! it stinks but works. I would alternated between that and fresh aloe like you mentioned. Oh the things we go thru! :)

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Erin,

My mom used apple cider vinegar on us all the time as kids. Although it stinks badly it really works.

How are you doing?

Shirley Z

erinmay22
    Participant

Hi Shirley –

Good to know you’ve tried acv also :). Smelly but does some really great things!

I am doing well. Thanks for asking. Hope you are too! Feeling pretty good but just a little fatigue… Scans again May 14th. Never a dull moment.

Erin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.