Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Sunscreen help please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jenni
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a sunscreen dilemma!

I have spent hours researching the best kinds and came up recently with a product called Elta MD. I love the lotions (without SPF) but it has zinc as the main ingredient and it is causing me to become super dry (in patches) and itch and get a rash. I think I may be allergic (or extra sensitive) to zinc unfortunately. I prefer the sunscreens with natural chemicals does anyone have any suggestions? I used Coppertone Pure and Simple last summer and it sorta did the same thing to me (it was zinc mostly as well).

I am looking for a daily face moisturizer with spf and a basic spf to use on myself and my daughter.

Thanks so much!

Jenni

Laurie
    Participant

Jenni,

My derm recommended Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 for me to use. It works for me although I am very careful of covering up during the peak hours as well. We use it on the grandchildren as well.

As far as a daily moisturizer, I use Clinique Superdefense Age Defense with Broad Spectrum SPF 25. It is light weight and nice. Again, I try to avoid any long term exposure to peak sun hours without hats, additional sunscreen, etc.

Laurie

jensean
    Participant

I use Skinceuticals sunscreen. It is very expensive but the texture is great. The main ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc. It leaves no residue or dryness. I highly recommend it.

BigRed1984
    Participant

oh goodness, there are so many choices! I have tried many and I am still looking for my perfect match. I like using Environmental Working Group’s skin deep data base. It scores sunblock based on it’s toxicity. Unfortunately, I have used a few products that were not too effective for heavy sun exposure. If I am going in the water I stick to harsh chemical spray on’s with high UV protection. Otherwise I have had no trouble with zinc products. Here is a link, I think they will update for 2013 soon. For the kiddo I use badger infants spf 34, she looks like a ghost but it is so natural it doesnt burn her eyes. http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Zinc is often the natural ingredient and that is what Jenni is having a problem with. Our staff member’s daughter is allergic to almost everything and she finally found the Neutrogena Free and Clear to work well with her daughter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.