Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Sunscreen Protection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/truth-sunscreen-protection-19528791

the recommended amount of sunscreen that you’re supposed to put on is a shot glass full of sunscreen

A family of four should go through nearly an entire bottle of sunscreen every two hours in the sun

Sznn
    Participant
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Sunscreen is obviously not the primary means for protection. Clothing, shade, picking safer hours to be outside is much more practical. Sunscreen is just a lotion and sweats off etc.

Sznn
    Participant

True, but it would be nice to believe when you are wearing sunscreen that it is protecting you adequately.

I like to go cycling, and some trips take hours. I cannot cycle fully covered up or I will melt. Although, I do wear a long sleeve jersey now and I sure hope the sunscreen on my face and legs is doing its job.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

The best solution to sports where cover up is difficult is to time the activity for early morning or late afternoon/evening so you aren’t blasted. I don’t have confidence in lotion to protect me during high noon no matter what the label claims.

MRatter
    Participant

The reality is for many busy families is there is a lot of times that you can’t avoid the peak hours. And in the heat of the summer there are also times when it is very difficult to be covered from head to toe with clothing. I also don’t like all of the chemicals that are in sunscreen, but I where it when I know I will be out in the sun. If there is shade of course I will seek it. We need to respect the sun, but also live our lives…..I’ve learned to not panic now when I’m in the sun. I don’t lay out in the sun, I just know now that I HAVE to live my life with my children. I know that nothing in life is guaranteed. I’m a stage 1B and have been NED for almost 5 years. I also know that being NED for 5 years doesn’t mean that I’m out of the woods.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.