Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Sunscreen Suggestion Needed for my Twins!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jenni
    Participant

Hello everyone!!!! I have been on a few times trying to read and keep up but I am so busy sometimes I don’t know what month we are in! My first daughter turned 4 in November, my twin boys turned 1 in November as well and I hit my 5 yr mark from my melanoma diagnosis in December! I still see a good derm here in LA about 3 times a year. Every 4 months or so.

SO, I was using Think Baby (zinc based) and Blue Lizard Sensitive (zinc and titanium dioxide based) for myself and my daughter. Now since my twins are going outside and the sun is getting stronger in LA I have been putting some sunscreen on my boys faces. One seems fine with the brands I have, the other gets SUPER red cheeks and it seems dry/irritated. I, personally, feel itchy and dry after a few days in a row of sunscreen but can tolerate what I use ok. He seems worse. WHAT DO I DO? Anyone have a “good” chemical sunscreen that is not too nasty with chemicals :) Is that possible or any other suggestions? I do cover up a lot with clothes but there are times he needs sunscreen and I cannot do much about his face :( Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jenni

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

It is so good to hear from you! However, not sure what to suggest besides a good hat! Have you tried Mustela for babies? Check out Seal of Approval companies and maybe you will find something.

Go to: http://melanomainternational.org/who-we-are/mifs-seal-of-approval/#.VOuPjfnF8kA

Best wishes~

Prd10
    Participant

Hi!

Sounds like you have your hands full. My boy was 6 months when I was diagnosed, and he has always had horrible eczema so sunscreen has been tough. I love the Badger Baby Chamomile sunscreen. You can get it at whole foods. I like any of the Badger products, but the Baby Chamomile doesn’t leave the white film that most zinc products do. He’s 4 and we still use it.

Jenni
    Participant

Catherine and Prd10, THANK YOU for your replies.

Both are great ideas! I use Mustela on all my kids in the bath and for lotion and it doesn’t hurt his skin, so I should try the sunscreen. I didn’t even realize they made one! Also, Badger is the other I couldn’t remember, I will try that too! I remembered Blue Lizard but not the other natural one that started with a “B” :)

I also got a reply from my derm here. He suggested Vanicream so I ordered a small tube of that to try as well :)

Will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Jenni

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Be sure to let us know what works out. This is an issue with many kids, including my grandson who absolutely can’t have sun exposure due to his autoimmune disorder and the drugs he is on. His skin is super sensitive too. He is 21/2 and reminds us he needs cream on before he goes out!

toastwave
    Participant

Hi Jenni,

So cool! Twins! I always love seeing your updates because we both did the second pregnancy post-diagnosis and have both moved a couple of times since as well so I feel like I have a sort-of-twin out there juggling early parenthood and doctor finding. So glad to hear you hit your 5 year mark! I am a year and change out myself from the 5 year mark. My kids are almost 5 and 20mo. Excited to find you are well and that your kids are keeping you busy and happy. These exhausting days are truly amazing, aren’t they?! You know, when you are not tired to the point of tears ;)

Anyway, best of luck keeping them protected. We do hats for faces and our oldest is accustomed now but we chase the youngest and replace about a zillion times per outing! Of course, for you, that chase is going to look a lot different. Hope they run in the same direction!

hope629
    Participant

Thanks for posting this. I just met with my derm on Wednesday and asked also about sun protection for my baby boy (8 months). I’m going to check out the products recommended. It’s also nice to read that you go outside in the sun with your little ones and live life!!! I was diagnosed with stage 3A in Sept 2014 (31 years old, first time mom), so it’s really encouraging to see posts like this with women who have little ones and had more babies post-melanoma diagnosis. My husband and I definitely want more babies, and we’re going to wait 2 years post-diagnosis which is what we talked about with my oncologist, so I would love to hear from you with your story, how long you waited to try again and any other advice on having more babies post-diagnosis.

Happy (almost) Spring :-)

Danielle

Jenni
    Participant

Toastwave, good to hear from you! I feel the same, I love hearing from all of you too! I need to get better about writing on the forum again…I visit often but as soon as I get ready to post a child usually needs me :)

Danielle, thanks for writing! Stay strong, your diagnosis is fairly new so it is so important to know it takes time. It was hard for me at first to come to terms with hearing the word cancer at 29. Now 5 yrs out, I am not thinking about it obsessively like I used to. I make sure to get skin checks and cover up myself and my kids and then I LIVE life. I had all my kids after my diagnosis, my first I got pregnant with 3 months after my first in situ diagnosis and had a second (maybe) during my second trimester.

SO, update…my derm wrote me and told me to try Vanicream for my sons face. I bought this because it was on amazon and easy to ship to me and tried it out. I think I like it :) He seems a little red on the cheeks but not nearly as much as he was with Blue Lizard and Think Baby. These two work really well on my other kids and on Leo’s arms but his face is just extra sensitive to the drying factor that zinc has I think. Vanicream is both Zinc and TO, but it is known by derms to be less harsh on those with sensitive skin. I will probably proceed with this for him this summer, and myself, since my face and arms seem to itch after a few days of wearing SPF.

Still may have my husband bring some mustela spf back from france (he is there now and it is cheaper). I LOVE how it smells in the baby wash, I bet the spf is nice too!

Anyone have a good moisturizer that can be worn daily that is EWG approved? I tend to just wear a hat and not spf everyday because my face itches and dries out SO much if I wear it daily.

Cheers,

Jenni

hope629
    Participant

Thanks, Jenni for the encouragement :D

Lisa P
    Participant

Hi, Jenni! It has been a long time since I’ve been here but saw your post and thought I’d respond to your question about a good moisturizer. I’m not sure if it’s on an approved list, but IT Cosmetics has their CC Moisturizing Liquid Foundation that is comprised of great ingredients and is SPF 50. Check it out and see what you think. It sounds like life is going well for you these days. May it continue on that way. Fondly, Lisa P

Jenni
    Participant

Thanks Lisa! I appreciate it! I am doing well! Busy and trying to enjoy life :) Hope you are good as well!

Kind regards,

Jenni

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.