• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    melac
    Participant

Hi all,

I haven’t been here for a while. I have a question though that I’m hoping someone can answer.

I had two primary stage 1 melanomas a couple of years ago that were removed with surgery. I’m sure that I will have more. At the time of the melanoma, I already had a few tattoos and I want to get a few more.

The primary argument I’ve heard against a tattoo where melanoma is concerned is that you can’t see skin changes through a tattoo.

I can see moles and freckles through my existing tattoo that is the most like the next one I want to get. The newer freckles are brown, not tattoo colored. I’m feeling pretty confident in that regard. They aren’t dark indigo tattoos or solid colored, even.

I did ask my doctor(s). One derm told me no more tattoos, the other said it didn’t matter. So, I guess I would like to make sure that I have the whole story before I get another tattoo. Are there any other risk factor to getting a tattoo where melanoma is concerned?

Thanks in advance!

HoolieB
    Participant

I have two tattoos that somehow managed to fit in between existing moles. Fortunately they’re not heavily-colored so if a new mole appears within, I hope it would be easy to see. Still, I worry that pigment of the mole might be camouflaged by the pigment of the tattoo. So even though another tattoo would be fun, I’m too concerned about covering an existing mole or scar that requires surveillance. (Seriously, clean real estate on my body is nearly non-existent at this point!)

BigRed1984
    Participant

I was told no more tattoo’s. I may get more anyway. Besides the possibility of missing skin changes within the tattoo, my doctor mentioned that some of the ink can get into the lymph nodes, which can be mistaken for melanoma in a lymph node biopsy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.