• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jason64
    Participant

I was recently diagnosed with a t1a on my upper right arm. It was a mole that I have had for 20 years. I had It biopsied 5 years ago and it came back as moderately atypical and my GP doctor basically told me not to worry about it. I went to visit him early December and decided I was tired of looking at it and told him I wanted it off. Anyway it came back as SSM .68, Clark II, Mitotic index 0 and no other risk factors. I was a little in shock after the DX and started searching the internet and found you. Your information and stories have helped me a lot.

I am actually glad that it came back as SSM, had it not I would not have set up an appointment with a derm. I went to the derm and he biopsied 5 more spots and measured a few more to look for changed in the future. The 5 biopsies came back as 3 BCCs, one severly atypical and an Amelanotic Mel. Had the one on my arm not came back as SSM the amelanotic would not have been diagnosed until far too late I am sure. It was .5, Clark II, 0 Mitotic and no other risk factors.

Had the second WLE today, so most of the cutting is over.

Again thank you all, you have helped me navigate a very hard experience.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing!! So happy we were all able to help you and your diagnosis is low risk. Take good care!

Jason64
    Participant

Amelanotic WLE is margins clear!

Still waiting on the other.

Jason64
    Participant

Original melanoma WLE is margins clear.

Two more BCCs next week and maybe I can stop being cut on for awhile.

I look like I have been in a knife fight!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Cutting shouldn’t be too deep for BCCs. Good luck and sounds good. Don’t forget to protect yourself from the sun!

Jason64
    Participant

Final two bcc cut out. Happy that this part is over.

Dr. did the Decision dx genetic test and I was class 1. So that is comforting.

Have myself scheduled to do self checks on the 1st of each month and Derm visits every 3 months.

Will stay out of the sun during the middle of the day. This part is really annoying, I have a Jeep Wrangler and I love running around with the top off.

Is there anything else I should do to reduce the chances of the melanoma coming back?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Wear protective clothing! Long sleeves, broad rimmed hat and try to run around early morning and after 4pm. Sunscreen will help too. Good luck!

Jason64
    Participant

First checkup with Derm done. Just one biopsy this time. Doc said more than likely not invasive, just wanted to take a look because it had grown a bit.

Strangely I am not all that freaked out about it like I was with the first round.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Good for you! You’ve been empowered with knowledge. Keep in touch

barb3246
    Participant

Hello. Could you describe what the amelanotic melanoma looked like?

Jason64
    Participant

Unfortunately no. It was on my back and I never had a chance to see it.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Amelanotic melanoma is usually pink or without the usual black color we associate with melanoma. This is why we advise all to check your skin for any new lesions or ones that have changed despite the color.

Jason64
    Participant

Path report came back as mildly atypical.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Great! Glad everything is ok. Don’t forget to do your own self-exams

Jason64
    Participant

2nd follow up visit done.

No biopsies. No other issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.