Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV The Rumors of my Death have been greatly exaggerated

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

I had to steal Mark Twain’s famous quote to tell a funny story.Members of my family participated in the 2nd annual Choptank 5k on the Eastern Shore of Maryland this past w/e. Before the race the speaker read off the names of people who had lost their battle with melanoma this past year. To my surprise my name was the last 1 read. I had to stand up and say ” still here”. My whole family and I started cracking up which got everyone in the crowd laughing. I immediately knew who the culprit was. My 22 year old son didn’t know the difference between in support of or in honor of! The poor girl who was the emcee was devastated and apologized over and over. I said we all need to keep our sense of humor and you can see my family has one! In other news not so good Yervoy is on hold due to some neuropathy symptoms and I am on 100 Mg of prednisone daily until symptoms improve or subside. The Yervoy team was consulted and this was the reccomendation. They call the infusion clinic every week after my labs and checklist are done due to my lupus history and also call me. I think they are a little nervous about my reaction. The yervoy had just started to inflame some nodes that were known and some that had not been known, all in lt and rt neck. The soonest I will receive another dose will be 3 weeks as long as symptoms improve and we can do a fast taper off the prednisone. If they don’t improve or get worse Yervoy is over for me and back to Zelboraf which caused 3 squamous cells in 1 week and unbearable joint pain. I need some good luck.

Mary Sue

Angela21
    Participant

Thank you for a great story. You are in my prayers.

Jenni
    Participant

Mary Sue,

I just wanted to say that you have an AMAZING spirit and attitude after all you have been through! Sending my good thoughts and hopefully good luck your way!!

Best

Jenni

DadZGirl
    Participant

God Bless YOU Mary Sue! You are so awesome! Thanks for the story and I am so glad you are among us!

Prayers for your health!

Laura

Shirley Z
    Participant

Hi Mary Sue,

I know I already responded to this on your carepages. I can’t help but respond again because it just makes my heart happy. You have always had such an amazing spirit. I would have loved to have been there to hear your response.

In the midst of hardships it can sometimes be hard to cope, but finding humor in a bad situation only makes us stronger. Our ties with families and friends strengthen through difficult times. Out of the saddness new bonds are formed. We look at life in a different way. Melanoma can never take that from us.

Keep fighting my friend!

Love u,

Shirley Z

Dianap
    Participant

Thank you for sharing that moment with us.

I relayed it to my husband and we both laughed. Black humout is rife in our household. It has its time and place, but for us has helped greatly.

The old saying ‘Laugh in the face of adversity’ and I for one agree with that. :D

msue5
    Participant

I was a nurse for 33 years and black humor was the only way we could get through some of the hard times. Away from the patients of course! One of the funniest stories I remember involved an Alzheimer’s patient. She wanted to call her daughter but couldn’t remember the number. So I looked it up in her chart and dialed it and held the phone. She said Hi

. I needed to call and let you know “Ive passed.”. Would you let everyone know. I really don’t see a need for a funeral. Apparently this was not the 1st time because I heard the daughter say “So what’s it like there”? The mother said not much different. The food is horrible!

Mary Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.