Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Three months past ipi and growing again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jude
    Participant

Hi!

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted but I’m a regular reader :D

My new dilemma that I could use some advice on is I’m being treated at the University of Chicago (National Cancer Institute) and over the last year and a half, have gone through the rounds of Vemurafenib and the MEK combo trial followed by the full course of ipi. I have a large tumor on my lower back that now measures 16 cm across. It grew January -May of last year while awaiting the Zelboraf-MEK combo trial but has remained stable over the last few months. During the ipi coarse, assorted nodes throughout my torso have begun to grow.

Radiation on the tumor was going to be the next step but now my oncologist wants to go to chemotherapy. He said that he has seen tumor shrinkage with chemo in patients that have had ipi. He said it seems to stimulate the immune system. He is considering writing a paper on it.

Of course, I’m dead set against chemo. I’m eligible for another round of ipi but he’s pushing the chemo. The tumor is too large to be removed.

So, has anyone heard of chemo doing this in post ipi patients? Any other suggestions I would be greatly appreciative of hearing.

Thank you so much, everyone on here! This site is such a place of solice and hope.

God bless!

Jude

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

what chemo is he suggesting? I don’t know of any chemo that works for melanoma but in a very small percentage of patients. I think your idea to continue ipi and do radiation makes sense. Not all NCI approved centers are great melanoma centers, so maybe another opinion is a good idea?

Jude
    Participant

Hi Catherine!

Thanks for replying so quickly!

He sent me home with general info for Paclitaxel and Carboplatin

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I absolutely can’t find any scientific study showing carbotaxol to be a melanoma therapy of value. It does have some toxic side effects. Have you looked at the new trials of PDL (medimmune) and braf/combo and PDL and mek. This is just opening at a few places that I’m trying to list here next week (fingers crossed!) Also, the ADC is closed but should open with a phase II shortly. It may still have openings at Karmanos in Detroit. Don’t settle for drugs not proven for melanoma if you can. Email or call me if you’d like to discuss further. (toll free: 866-463-6663) cpoole@melanomainternational.org

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.