Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Three New Biopsies Today…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

It seems in general they say that “de-moling” a person doesn’t prove any more effective than monitoring for changes, etc. . .

Laurie
    Participant

Lisa P.

Congrats on the benigns and even the moderately dysplastic mole!! A decent percentage of the moles I have had removed fall into the moderately dysplastic category (on top of 3 in-situs). Although it can be annoying having moles removed frequently, ‘de-moling’ isn’t the answer either. Hang in there and keep up with the skin checks and derm checks. They do work. Good Luck! Laurie

Jenni
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

When you say they are going to go back and excise the moderate one, what does that involve? Is it just making sure margins are clear or are they doing a full WLE on it?

Most of my moles are atypical when they come back from pathology. I would say most are moderate, with a handful mild and a few severe. I usually get clear margins from the first biopsy which is usually a deep shave or a punch (depends on the mole, location, etc). However, I have a few moderates that were excised close to margins (but appear gone) and just left it at that. All my derms I have seen are comfortable leaving mild and moderate’s this way. I did even have one that came back mod-severe that they just left after original biopsy bec they said it had clear margins. And my derms are good, respectable melanoma doctors that I have had to get referrals into their clinics.

I don’t think you would want to go and remove all of your moles on your back. Just get the ones that are changing or that are new and take them off. Annoying, I know, I hate going so much to the derm sometimes too, but that is my view. If it stays the same, leave it. It might be moderately atypical but if it is not evolving it is not cancer!

Have a great weekend!

Jenni

toastwave
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

That sounds odd to me too! The only mod. atypical I’ve had re-excised was on my big toe because the derm. said that if it ever became severely atypical or evolved into mel. they’d have to amputate to get enough margins on the WLE. Guess I have skinny toes or this is just the nature of a toe. So, that didn’t take much convincing. The re-excision was quite small (and most subtle scar out of all of them!), though, nothing close to a WLE and they did it because one of the lateral margins was involved in the biopsy. Otherwise, my derm. leaves mod. atypicals alone post-biopsy.

Scarlett

Lisa P
    Participant

Hi, everyone. Because I’ve had three melanomas in a relatively short time, my doc actually excises dysplastic nevi biopsy sites that come back as moderate or greater. If I’m not mistaken, she does a 3mm excision as opposed to a 5mm were it to be melanoma (I could be mixing up mm and cm, by the way). At any rate, my back looks like I got into it with a raging bear! Luckily, I don’t need to look at it all the time, which is good. The one WLE I had a month ago on my arm is healing niecely and doesn’t bother me very much. We’ll see what happens when I go in Wednesday to get this latest moderately dysplastic thing out and then I ask her to look at that other spot I noticed when my friend took the photo of my back. It seems to be an odd shaped mole with a tiny black dot in it. Blech. In the meantime, I’m putting one foot in front of the other and enjoying myself. Hope all of you are doing the same and look forward to hearing back with any words of wisdom you might have! Take good care out there, Lisa

Lisa P
    Participant

Just got back from having my latest moderately dysplastic mole excised from my back, and asked my doc to look at yet one more funny looking spot that showed up in a photo a friend took of the initial biopsy site. She said that she had spent quite some time in the past few weeks talking to a bunch of her pathologist contacts, confirming what she has always believed, which is that moderately dysplastic moles have a relatively small chance of morphing into full-blown melanoma. She then checked the spot against my grid photos and said that, because it was there two years ago, she prefers not to biopsy it being that once something is confirmed as dysplastic on me, she does feel a need to remove it via WLE. Because I’m there every single month, she feels confident we will notice anything that begins to evolve. I trust her. In the meantime, my other various WLE sites have keloided and so I got a bunch of steroid shots to deal with those. Ouch. In the big scheme of things, keloids are the least of my worries! I hope all of you are doing well out there. Keep thinking good thoughts, Lisa

Jenni
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Glad everything went ok at your appt. I agree with your derm too. Some people have strange looking moles, if it is not changing or evolving, leave it alone. Watch for change!

Hope this is the last of biopsies for you for a while! You need a break :)

I have keloid scars too, I had a few steroid injections in some of mine. It helped most of them. One is just stubborn and still red and bumpy. I will get some sort of laser treatment after I am done with kids, I think.

Have a great weekend,

Jenni

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.