Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Thryoid nodule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hillcountrygirl1
    Participant

Hi all,

I had the fun times of checking out a lung nodule with a CT and PET scan, and while the lung nodule is likely benign (we will check again in March), a thyroid nodule showed up. I haven’t given it much thought because I know those are almost always (95%) benign, but they called and said they would like me to go to an endocrinologist to get it checked out. I am starting to feel like “if we look hard enough we will find something”, LOL! Anyway, my mother had a cancerous nodule back in the early 60’s, and she had her thyroid removed and all was fine going forward. Do you think that raises my risk at all? And, does melanoma ever spread to a thyroid? I’m really trying to decide whether to ignore this and live life or go and get poked and prodded again. My first mel was .47 Breslow. Thin, safe, right? And I had an in-situ two years later. Anyway, if anyone has any insight about thyroid nodules, that would be great. Oh, and this one is 13 mm big.

Thanks!

Betsy

goldengirl2011
    Participant

I went through the same thing earlier this year. Since my nodule was larger than 1 cm, they did a FNA on it. Results were benign, and we’re just doing a wait & see. There was no concern that maybe it was melanoma, especially since mine had only been .2mm depth.

Do you know how large the thyroid nodule is? Good luck & keep us posted.

cohanja
    Participant

How did they spot your nodule? During a scan you were having because of the melanoma? Do they do scans for a .2mm depth?

goldengirl2011
    Participant

MY PCP felt it when I had my annual checkup. She sent me for a US, and that is how they knew the size. I have to say, my PCP is very thorough.

hillcountrygirl1
    Participant

Hi Goldengirl, thanks so much for sharing your experience. Mine is 13 mm according to the CT scan. I guess that is 1.3 cm?

I’m just going to be honest and say the FNA sounds painful and it sounds like what I will have done (according to my onc nurse when we chatted on the phone). Was it? I’m sort of tired of poking and prodding. I feel like I should do it, but I KNOW it’s benign (surely it is!). My mel was also thin. The spot on my lung is more worrisome to me. I will have another CT scan in March and I’ll be glad after that one because the doctor says if it doesn’t change, then we can rule out any worries.

I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m sure it will be more benign news, but KNOWING something is benign is better than thinking it is, I guess! :-)

Betsy

cohanja
    Participant

I wonder if it’s possible instead of getting another CT scan (that’s a lot of radiation exposure) they could do xray. When I had the lung nodules, they did one CT scan to see they were calcified (granuloma), but then to confirm no change, they did xray just to compare size from previous xray and see no growth. Xray is a lot less radiation than CT and if they just want to see no change, they should be able to use xray.

goldengirl2011
    Participant

I was nervous about having the FNA, but it really was easy. I kept my eyes closed because I didn’t want to see the needle. It felt like small pinches, so really not painful at all. I had to hold my breath each time they went in, but not for very long. The anticipation definitely was worse than the actual FNA. I was a little soar afterwards, but having ice on the neck helped. I was fine the next day.

You are correct regarding 13mm = 1.3mm

Good luck, and keep us posted, ok?

Icegurl470
    Participant

I was also dx with thyroid issues around the same time I was dx with Melanoma.. My PCP was actually examining my spine so that I could have an MRI when she noticed my birth mark and recommended I have it removed. During the MRI I kept complaining that I couldn’t breath with my head tilted back and sure enough the report stated that my thyroid was enlarged and there were thyroid nodules. I found out I had melanoma and that they were going to need to run further tests on my thyroid during the same apt. I felt overwhelmed by the fact that I had two cancer scares. However, my thyroid enlargement/nodules turned out to out to be a symptom of my undiagnosed hypothyroid likely caused by Hashimoto’s, not cancer, thankfully. I know autoimmune related thyroid issues run in my family, so I’m sure having a family history of thyroid cancer would slightly raise your risks, but I was also told there was a very small chance.

Webbie73
    Participant

I had a pre cancerous nodule on my thyroid about 10 years ago. It was interfering with my voice and swallowing. My thyroid was removed and I have not had a problem in that area since. I have caught 3 different cancers while they were still in the pre cancer stage. Is there a relationship to my melanoma ? I don’t know. Maybe a genetic predisposition to cancer. who knows. I do not let it rule my life but I am just very proactive.

I would follow the advice of my Primary Care Physician.

hillcountrygirl1
    Participant

Hi again,

Cohanja…you are right, it IS a lot of radiation to have another CT scan in March. I think I will ask if we can do something else like an x-ray (or maybe wait longer). I’m so sure it’s nothing that it doesn’t bother me to wait and do it a year later. And goldengirl, thank you so much for the reassurance about the FNA. I’m almost 100 percent sure they will do that and I was DREADING it.

I have since found out that my mom had a benign goiter, not thyroid cancer, which resulted in her thyroidectomy in the 60’s. Her sister told me. SO, I’m glad that possibly there is at least not THAT cancer in my family (all the others seem to be there!).

I always appreciate the insight I get from this forum. I’ll let you know how the FNA turns out (I’m sure it will be fine). I’m looking forward to many more years of “nothing” and living life.

Cheers!

Betsy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.