Reading forums, blogs, etc. I realize how many options of treatment are for Stage IV peeps in the US, and I can’t really find as many options in Canada. When my Hubby was diagnosed, he was told he can start Vemurafenib (Zelboraf) right away, but if he waits for a month he may be accepted in the nivo/ ipi phase III three arm trial. He is currently enrolled in this trial and although we have high hopes and we are keeping positive, we will not know until the scans (Jan 28) what is next. All we know is if it worked, he will be kept in maintenance (IV every two weeks) for as long as he is stable and he can handle it.
But we asked twice already what options are there if the trial didn’t work. The one answer we got was a mumble about a “compasionate” trial but it was left at that, no miracle drug name was mentioned. I know Vemurafenib is also another option. But what else is available?
We are ready to travel in other provinces that offer other options for treatment (and pay for the treatment if it’s not covered by the Health Care system) but we really don’t know what are the terms we have to comply. Any Canadian people that had to travel around in other province for treatment?
Also, before we started the trial we contacted MD Anderson, sent them all the scan results, blood work, etc. for second opinion and they said they can treat Dave there but we have to relocate to Huston and pay for everything. Is anybody from Canada currently treated in the US that can share any light in the matter?
Please email me at: email@example.com for some options in Canada. Before starting Zelboraf you might consider the PDL combo with braf/mek that will be at Princess Margaret Hospital soon with Dr. Marcus Butler. I also have some other contacts that may be helpful depending on what province you are located. I would be happy to help you.