• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Happy_girl
    Participant

All I have had for treatment for my 1b is my wide excision And slnb. I know I have a 3 month follow up with my derm and surgeon. Is it normal not to have any scans at 1b? I’m just not sure and want to make sure I’m doing everything I should. Also- should I be seeing my GP more than once a year for a physical?

Thanks for your help!

cohanja
    Participant

It’s an interesting question, because from what I’ve seen it’s not consistent. Typically, I believe, they don’t usually scan stage 1 patients unless there are symptoms. However, it seems like many stage 1 people who’ve posted have said their Dr is doing an annual chest xray. I suppose getting a baseline is not a bad idea in case you ever need to get one done later in the future at least you have a baseline to compare to. But, it won’t pick up microscopic disease and my Dr said there can be a lot of false positives – that many benign things show up but once they go down that road they have to follow up on it so sometimes it can then lead to more unnecessary procedures, etc… Some follow up protocols do seem to include chest xrays for stage 1 patients, other protocols do not (Europe vs US etc…), so I don’t know that there is really one clear answer to this question.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Scans are normally reserved for stage III and up. Sometimes for a baseline they are done. Scans can open a pandora’s box with false positives etc. If there are symptoms to act on, nagging cough, etc. then scans can be appropriate. Normal follow-up is palpation of lymph nodes, skin exam and exam of excision area. Report any other symptoms you might have as well. Hang in there!

Happy_girl
    Participant

What is considered nagging. I just started back to school- I’m a teacher- after maternity leave- got a cold last week…. Still have a little bit if a phlegmy cough still. I am trying not to panic with colds and aches and pains…. Hard to do. In the past- I have had colds linger for several weeks until they are completely cleared- I feel like I can’t wait that long any more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma: Newly Diagnosed – Stages I & II’ is closed to new topics and replies.