Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II UK researchers say a genetic defect makes people more suscep

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

http://www.lanereport.com/35054/2014/07/uk-researchers-say-a-genetic-defect-makes-people-more-susceptible-to-developing-melanoma/

From the way my skin reacts to the sun, it would seem I fit this defect. Which in hindsight makes me wonder even more how I could have kept burning my skin so many times over and over again, you would have thought I’d have learned. As a kid, I just didn’t think about these things.

wpatterson4
    Participant

Is the Lane Report really trying to pass this off as news? Defects in MC1R have been known to be a risk factor for melanoma for a very long time. That’s what causes red hair in people who inherit two mutated versions of the gene. I hate it when some discovery that was made years ago is presented as something entirely new by the media.

Edit: It does go on to say that they discovered at least one new thing about this. Maybe I should have read a little further.

wpatterson4
    Participant

As a non-redhead who’s afflicted by this condition, I honestly hope I live long enough to see technology that can transfer my consciousness to a genetically engineered body with tanning capability. Ray Kurzweil swears it will happen. Let the upload begin.

On a more serious note, everyone frets about the advent of such things, but consider the possibilities. I wonder if the restoration of our ability to produce vitamin C, for instance, would be beneficial in the fight against cancers such as melanoma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18764764

In the words of Will Ferrell as Ricky Bobby, ” It’s just exciting that we’re trying things like that. “

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.