Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Update after Surgery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    msue5
    Participant

I had my abdominal reconstruction surgery on May 20. This involved repairing an incisional hernia, moving my rectus muscle back some to where it belonged and clipping the intercostal nerve that runs along the bottom of my right rib cage. This was all due to complications from CLND gone wrong from infection and swelling leading to opening of CLND wound and surgery to close the wound using skin, tissue and muscle from my right abdomen. Mesh hardened in my abdomen and was adhered to abdominal wall and had to be removed less than a year later(Dec 2011). Unfortunately abdominal reconstruction has a high failure rate and I put off another surgery as long as possible but I had a hernia that according to my Oncologist was a ticking time bomb. I had had enough pain and abdominal spasms and finally had the surgery. I was in the hospital for 3 days and came home with a 9 in incision and a drain. Pain is improving but any effort like taking a shower leaves me totally wiped. I am going to our local Relay for Life for a little while tonight. I joined the hospitals infusion team where I received Yervoy.They are a wonderful group of nurses and I still see them often since my Oncologist has his office there. I was the 1st Yervoy patient at the center and now they have 2 more. Going to have to find a way to cheat in the survivors lap cause I won’t make it all the way around! Still have drain and all my staples but they are coming out this week. Next up will be PET Scan when I can tolerate laying on the table. Still had 2 active mets on last PET but they were stable. Now if any growth I will repeat Yervoy since I had good response and have to wait for Anti PD1 to be approved since Lupus disqualifies from EAP. Hope everyone is well as can be expected.

Mary Sue

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Mary Sue,

Thanks for the update and happy to hear you all home recuperating. I hope you heal quickly and you are back in the saddle soon. Sounds like you are doing well. Take good care.

Annieo
    Participant

I hope things continue to improve for you mSue,

Keep the chin up.

Anne

Linny
    Participant

Wow, you have really been through the ringer, Mary Sue. Your attitude is great and with that you will have a speedy recovery.

msue5
    Participant

Thanks Catherine and Linny. I was doing really well but have been experiencing more pain in the area where they clipped the intercostal nerve. I have another post op check on Wed and I will ask the Dr. I couldn’t find much info on the internet about it post op. I still feel better than I have compared to my other Abd surgeries. This was Surgery # 8 since diagnosis. Who would ever think all this from 1 mole? I am anxious to start planning to go to our house in S.C.. It’s a different life for me there. Somehow I can leave all my worries behind.

Mary Sue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.