Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV Very interesting from Yale nivo/ipi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Poole
    Keymaster
    BNP68
    Participant

I’m a little confused how the response rate is only 40% yet the 1 year survival rate is in the 80% range. Wouldn’t it seem like you’d need a higher percentage of responders to reach that level of survival? I thought anti-pd1s alone was in the 40% response range and the combo’s were somewhere above 50%.

MasterB
    Participant

I think they count 40 % response for those who have full or partial tumor reduction. In others combo might stop or slow down growing of tumors (extend survival) which gives good survival and numbers at 2 years of the trial

BNP68
    Participant

You’re probably right. I guess unless there’s a reduction in disease it doesn’t count as a response by their definition. Slowing it down or even achieving a stable status doesn’t count.

Anonymous

I’ve heard various definitions of what a “response” is however two seem the most common. One is a 30% reduction in tumor size or count. The other is basically the same except the reduction is 50%.

But yeah, then there is “clinical benefit” which includes any effect (like mixed, slower progression and stable disease) and that is easily seen in the overall survival numbers.

And this combo is most impressive in that regard, so much so they’ve not gotten to the “average” survival yet (which I believe is 50% survival) as the curves have a pronounced “tail” (it flattens out with time).

Good stuff.

Jeff

MasterB
    Participant

Yes and looking at 2 year survival numbers, 5 year survival numbers should be more than 50 % (50-55) and this is breakthrough in the melanoma or begining of a new era

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I thought what was most interesting is this response rate was very good in patients who were at the end of the road so to speak, Kluger said they were very ill I believe. How exciting this is happening now and can only hope the combinations will continue!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stage IV’ is closed to new topics and replies.