• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

My Vit D level was 33 ng/ml back in May. I started taking 1000 units/day, and then 2000 units/day of Vit D-3 supplements, and 3 months later it’s still only 35 ng/ml. It’s the lower end of the 32-100 standard range. What else can I do to get it up?

Worrywart
    Participant

20 minutes a day of sunshine! No SPF!

heronlover
    Participant

I also eat wild caught salmon often, drink milk at least twice a day and sip pure Norwegian cod liver oil, 1 tsp., most days. I prefer getting my vitamins and minerals from foods. My doctor told me it is fine to try and use food instead of supplements. I agree with the 20 minutes per day no block, too. Paula

wpatterson4
    Participant

Have you tried a liquid supplement? And taking more than 2000?

cohanja
    Participant

Haven’t tried liquid. My Dr said to take 1000, but I started to bump it up to 2000. . not sure if I should do more than that.

wpatterson4
    Participant

I’ve also heard that it’s important to make sure it’s D3 you’re taking.

2000? I’ve taken far more (between 5000 and 8000 for days on end) than that and I’m still here. Wikipedia, that ultra-reliable source of information we’ve all come to rely on, states that 10,000 iu can be safely consumed daily without developing hypervitiminosis D……, although I wouldn’t try it.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Watch it with the vitamin D supplements, you don’t want to go overboard. Go out early in the morning and get some direct sunlight or after 4 pm. Do not wear sunblock or a lot of clothing to cover your skin. Make sure you have adequate calcium too. Unfortunately, the food supply doesn’t offer much, but milk is enriched with it and salmon is a good choice too. Here is an excellent fact sheet on Vitamin D: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

It talks about levels and foods rich in D. You aren’t far off from the level of 50 needed for good health.

Jenni
    Participant

My Vit D level one yr ago was 17 and now it is 42. I have been taking 2000 extra icu a day on top of 400 in my daily vitamin. I think it can just take a while to get back up to a good range.

Jenni

krissy424
    Participant

I better do some self educating. I’ve never had a vitamin D level done in my life. With my yearly check up my PCP fills out a lab slip ordering a CBC (complete blood count) and a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel. Every other year he throws in a cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides. Evidently, from what you all have posted, vitamin D needs monitoring and somehow i missed the message.

thanks for the info

Kris

i do worry about my grandkids who live in the interior of Alaska and see NO daylight for over six months every winter..but i won’t mention this here because it’s waaay off topic.

scienceteacher89
    Participant

Hello again,

I do not have a lot of information yet, but I was watching Doctor Oz a few weeks back. It was a rerun with Montel Williams, who takes Vitamin D with a chlorophyll tablet. I haven’t investigated the chlorophyll tablets yet, but according to MONTEL, a variety of natural things that he is doing is helping his MS condition. Wouldn’t hurt to look into.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I have not seen any scientific proof that chlorophyll would add anything to vitaminD, let me research it. In the meantime, Vitamin D is well proven to help immune function, a recent study even showed it helped prevent colds in kids. So the supplement and sunshine at a safe time is the solution!

Worrywart
    Participant

My kids take a gummy vit D daily with breakfast! ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.