Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II What comes first?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Webbie73
    Participant

This is like the chicken or the egg question. Which comes first atypical moles or melanoma? Or is it common to develop atypical moles after melanoma? I am trying to understand the progression.

cohanja
    Participant

I was under the impression that having atypical moles was a risk factor for developing melanoma. So, the atypical moles would come first.

Webbie73
    Participant

So even after melanoma you can still develop more atypical moles which would keep you at a higher risk for developing melanoma?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Atypical moles, or dysplastic nevi are common on many people and don’t often become melanoma. It usually is the factor of UV radiation (sun or tanning lamp) and the mole’s DNA changing from this exposure. Most people stop developing new moles in their 20’s. But there are exceptions. Some folks have more than 20 of these moles and need whole body photography to really follow them for any change. I’m married to one! He has never had melanoma thank heavens. Only room for one of us in the family to have it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.