Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II What would a palpable node feel like?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wpatterson4
    Participant

Just wanted to know. What would it feel like in its earliest….. manifestation? Most people probably only feel them when they’re a centimeter or more, as that’s the measurement I always see. What would they feel like before that? I check my axillary nodes every day. Some times I feel things.

Would you be able to feel one when it’s less than the size of a BB?

cohanja
    Participant

That’s one thing I have not learned how to do at home on my own. I check my skin, etc. . but I don’t feel my own nodes cause I just don’t know what I’m feeling for – what feels normal, what’s abnormal, etc. .? I leave that to the doctors. But, I wonder if checking them everyday would be like checking your skin everyday. .almost too often that it’s harder to detect change cause you’re doing it every day. I also thought that that in and of itself can cause nodes to swell, always feeling them?

wpatterson4
    Participant

I’m just the opposite – compulsive, because I really do think my melanoma was high risk. Viewing that webinar with Dr. Mihm only reinforced that opinion.

I’ll go through weeks during which I feel certain that I feel something, but this time is a little different.

However, I’m now shy about going to the doctor because I get tired of shelling out co-pays or more when the docs tell me I’m fine.

cohanja
    Participant

I thought your pathology reflected more of a low risk; 0.34mm, no mitotic figures identified within the dermis, and it’s been almost 2 years right? I thought first 2 years were half the risk of recurrence. Being male + trunk location. . . same as me. . I get those things make it higher risk. . but still 95-98% survival rate with the Breslow + mitotic rate, depending on which study you look at.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Nodes are very sensitive and if you palpate them daily you may create swelling. It isn’t a good idea. If you feel you must check them, do so monthly or at longer intervals. Don’t forget they go up and down in response to colds and other viruses.

cohanja
    Participant

The irony is I’ve had SLNB and I think because of it I always feel weird stuff going on in that axillary area – probably from the surgery (even though that was a year and a half ago)

wpatterson4
    Participant

I believe it’s high risk because of severe regression. Some days I think it’s guaranteed to metastasize after all I’ve read.

cohanja
    Participant

Isn’t the highest risk of that to happen within the first two years, and you’re almost there by now? Plus if Breslow is #1 prognostic factor, yours is favorable.

wpatterson4
    Participant

If that’s the case, I hope I cross the first finish line next month without this latest scare turning out to be “something.”

Thanks for the encouragement.

cohanja
    Participant

Have you done any kind of baseline chest xray or scans?

BigRed1984
    Participant

lymph nodes are difficult, they are different sizes depending on the location your body and sometimes they can remain large after an infection. I have HUGE inguinal nodes, those are in my upper thighs.1.5-2cm in some cases. I thought for sure I had some type of metastatic cancer when I first noticed them. But they are within the range of normal according to my doctor, also they are mobile and squishy. Also, I am very thin so I can find lymph nodes in places other people couldn’t because of their padding. I have driven myself crazy over this in the past and know how you feel. It still haunts me some days and I go poke crazy. Good luck with you anxiety over this and try to enjoy the holiday season.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.