Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II where are blood vessels located in the dermis?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant

I’ve heard it stated that thin melanomas aren’t deep enough to have reached blood vessels. . so, for instance, a melanoma that superficially invades into the papillary dermis. . .but if the papillary dermis supplies the epidermis with blood, how can that be true?

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I am confused by your question. If a melanoma is shallow, it does not extend into the dermis, but only the epidermis and therefore does not have access to lymphatic or blood vessels. Yes, there are blood and lyphatic vessels in the dermis.

cohanja
    Participant

Well, only in-situ doesn’t extend into the dermis. Everything else does. But, for those with thin invasive lesions, less than 0.75 or less than 0.50, etc…. that invade only into the superficial papillary dermis. . . I’ve had some doctors say that isn’t deep enough yet to have reached blood vessels. . so my question is how deep into the dermis are the blood vessels, 1 mm?

Worrywart
    Participant

If it reaches blood vessels then it is usually stated in path report (if seen).

cohanja
    Participant

so you pretty much know up front if it has spread via blood vessels? if not on path report, it hasn’t?

do they know how deep into the dermis are the blood vessels located?

TreeFrog
    Participant

Hi All,

My layperson’s understanding of the matter is: for there to be vascular invasion (which would be noted on the path. report), there has to be something to invade. Blood vessels, even the smallest capillaries, don’t quite get to the epidermis or the outer part of the dermis (papillary dermis). An in situ or Stage 1 Clark’s II is not at a level where a blood vessel could penetrate it.

You know when you get a little scrape and it oozes clear liquid, but not blood? That’s what your body is providing to the outer layers of the dermis. I don’t know the exact medical terminology, but I believe it’s plasma that perfuses from the deeper capillaries upwards to the papillary dermis. Cells themselves cannot be exchanged via this perfusion.

That is why an in situ is considered to be cured by excision, and a Stage 1 very likely to be cured. The only exceptions would be if a pathologist got the staging wrong.

That’s how I understand it, anyway! Interesting question.

~Wendy

Stage 1 .47mm removed 2011.

cohanja
    Participant

interesting

although doesn’t seem like you have to cut/scrape yourself very deep to get blood. . even the thinnest/slightest little cut usually generated bleeding

Worrywart
    Participant

You don’t have to cut yourself deeply to get to blood. But 1 mm is very small…and less than 1 mm is even smaller. I don’t remember your exact stats but I know yours was smaller than 1mm.

steve659
    Participant

Some superficial cyst when appear in the blood vessels it means there is special kind of the disease of the dermatology and for this very soon treatment taken other wise any chronic disease appear in this regard for the patient.

krissy424
    Participant

Steve,

Buddy. Where are you from ? Your use of the English language makes you difficult to understand. I know it’s not April 1st. but after reading all of your posts, I get an April 1st kind of feeling .

wpatterson4
    Participant

“I get an April 1st kind of feeling”

The plot thickens…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.