Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II wide excision question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bpowers
    Participant

I had a WLE on my right thigh inside near the knee. Margins & SLN all came back clear! After 1 week, I was allowed to bend my knee. I pulled open a section of the incision so I was back to straight leg for another week. Now I am allowed to bend my knee again, but the skin is so tight, it doesn’t want to bend. I can’t even drive! Any suggestions to get this skin to stretch. I still have one small area leaking fluid/blood so I don’t want to put lotion there. Surgeon was a not worried about the leaking. Any suggestions please? I hate depending on others to drive me places!

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

I wonder if you needed to have a skin graft to the area. I would consult a plastic surgeon about this. Leaking may mean infection. Get another opinion.

bpowers
    Participant

My surgeon is a plastic surgeon. He did a rotation flap.

washoegal
    Participant

You need to ask you surgeon for some exercises. Though from what you have posted if it has only been two weeks, it may be a little early yet.

melac
    Participant

I also had one done by a plastic surgeon and it leaked for a few weeks too and was totally normal. He left a little opening at one end for it to drain. One of my wide excisions was on my shoulder, which is a different joint than yours but it was almost a month before I felt like the integrity of the skin was enough to bend and stretch almost normally again. I am about 10 months post-op now and the skin still gets itchy and sore from time to time. My doc said it could take a year before it heals to the point where I don’t notice it any more.

bpowers
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions &I info. I feel a little better knowing it’s not abnormal. I am finally able to bend enough to safely drive. Steps are still a challenge, but I’m getting there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.