- This topic is empty.
September 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm #56484Webbie73Participant
Bon. Try and hang in there. All of us have the same fear. I am 8 months out from my diagnosis of stage 1a and only get nervous around the time of my follow up visits. My goal is to have a “clean” check up with out any cancers or biopsies. Please check back and let us know how you make out.September 17, 2012 at 1:45 am #56485GloriaParticipant In March, I went to the dermatologist to look at a “lump”. She told me it was a subcutaneous cyst. When I asked about any relation to melanoma or that it could be cancerous, her response was no way it was melanoma or caused by melanoma and it is very rare for subcutaneous cyst to be cancerous. She said it was probably caused by a clogged oil gland.
She then referred me to a surgeon to have it removed and then sent for a biopsy, which came back benign.September 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm #56486
Thank you everyone for your reassuring words. Time is dragging very slowly until my Wednesday appointment, just had x-rays taken of my foot so a step closer…September 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm #56487 Had appointment with the foot specialist today. He thinks it is a plantar fibroma but sent me for an MRI scan to try and rule out metastasis for my peace of mind. Had the MRI this afternoon and should get the report before the weekend but specialist said that probably the only way they can be 100% sure will be to take the lump out. This means a general anaesthetic, possible infection, possible nerve damage etc etc so I think I will be faced with a tough decision depending on exactly how reassuring (hopefully) the results of the MRI are. Thank you once again for all your reassuring words and advice.September 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm #564887spiderParticipant Good luck Bon, hope everything turns out ok for you.September 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm #56489 Results of the MRI are back- the lump does not appear to be a metastasis, though apparently can never be 100% certain with an MRI, it’s not a plantar fibroma (good news) and it’s probably a ganglion. Now comes a difficult decision- my consultant says that the only way to make sure the lump is benign is to have it surgically removed but this involves a general anaesthetic, 10 days bandaged up, and 2 weeks unable to drive. So both the consultant dermatologist and orthopaedic surgeon both think it is nothing nasty but neither can give a 100% assurance- for peace of mind (hopefully) I’ve decided to go with the operation next week as I can’t cope with not knowing even though I know that I’ll continue to live with uncertainty with everything else about the melanoma. Am I being stupid putting myself through this- I get the opinion that the surgeon and dermatologist think I am!September 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm #56490cohanjaParticipant It’s hard to answer “Am I being stupid putting myself through this” because that is such an individual decision. Some people I’m sure would be perfectly fine with the results and be comfortable not going any further. Other people – myself being one – would not be able to mentally rest until I knew as much as I could find out for certain. So, I don’t think you’re stupid if the mental anguish of not doing this would outweigh the inconvenience of doing it.September 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm #564917spiderParticipant If your mind is made up I guess do what makes your mind feel better for the moment or get some opinions from a different Dermatologist and Surgeon to see what they think. Good luck.September 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm #56492wpatterson4Participant You’ll need to undergo general anesthesia for a small bump on the sole of your foot???? I’m no physician, but that just doesn’t sound right to me.September 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm #56493 Unfortunately, yes. I asked the same question but apparently you need a torniquet around your thigh and you don’t want to move your foot whilst being operated on because there are tendons and nerves etc. The lump is also quite deep.
As regards second opinions, this isn’t standard practice in the UK. When you see a hospital consultant, you need to be referred by your GP or another consultant (I was referred to the surgeon by my consultant dermatologist). To get a second opinion I would need to return to my dermatologist and ask him. I’m fortunate to live near a large hospital with good facilities and I am already seeing the top foot specialist within that hospital so I am happy that he is good enough. I’m also paying privately for all my treatment rather than using the NHS- this means I can specify who I see and also speeds up the whole process.September 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm #56494WorrywartParticipant
If you feel you will worry excessively about this, get it removed. If not, I wouldn’t have the surgery. MRI is pretty accurate. Yes, no guarantees, but pretty darn accurate. Does the lump bother you? If so, that alone may warrant surgery. It’s your decision in the end, you have to do whats right for you. In the meantime, don’t worry about it. It’s a ganglion! My husbands was MRI’d and they said same thing. It’s been years since…it’s still there, approx same size.September 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm #56495 Spoke to my dermatologist who advised I had an ultrasound to ascertain whether the lump was fluid. Foot surgeon had not suggested this as he understood that could still be a metastasis if had some fluid, although very unlikely, but dermatologist reassured me that this would only happen if any metastic lump had been there some time and was breaking down on itself (or something like that!). So had an ultrasound today and pleased to report that, with “99.99% certainty” it is a ganglion cyst so very relieved. Thank you for all your support.
- The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.