Home Forums Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II Worth taking supplement?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cohanja
    Participant
    7spider
    Participant

Good article, Thanks for sharing ! I think I’m going to check it out at the health food store. I take a daily super green food supplement called Amazing Grass, it has all kinds of good stuff and antioxidants in it and seems to keep me feeling pretty good and keeps from getting colds.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

Amazing grass?! That’s a riot! Well you know my stance by now: eat local and organic diet, heavy in fruits and vegetables and whole grains, low in meat, avoid red meat. Take vitamin D3 and the rest of the supplements just haven’t been proven to do much except make those folks rich who sell them. Exercise aerobically if you can a few times a week, and practice meditation or some type of mind quieting exercise. Do get some sun, but at the safe times, early morning or late afternoon, to get more vitamin D. Laugh a lot and live in the moment.

7spider
    Participant

Well Catherine I’m doing most of the things you suggested, still gotta have a steak or a burger once or twice a week though, but I get my cardio exersise just about everyday, take my D3, do yardwork for a lil sunshine ( no more lounge chairs ) plenty of local produce, 1 mens over 50 multi vitamin each day, and 1 scoop of chocolate flavored Amazing Grass super green food in a glass of water and I seem to feel like a happy camper most of the time. Instead of meditation I play my guitar. I agree a lot of the supplements are probably making somebody else rich, but ya know we all have our little quirks, gotta laugh and live a lil.

cohanja
    Participant

Spider – what is your stage? What was your follow up and treatment?

7spider
    Participant

Cohanja, Mine was .88mm clark level IV . Had the WLE and SLNB back in April , they removed 4 nodes, all clear. I then went and had another skin check at the Dermatologist, everything looked good, got some base line chest x rays. I go back for my 3 month check up w/ the surgeon in August. My surgeon did his residency at MD Andersen, so I feel pretty good about that. He said my prognosis was good, just keep up w/ the checkups, watch the sun, eat healthy and exercise. Oh, it was stage 1b could of been better but I’m glad I caught it when I did.

cohanja
    Participant

I’m also Stage 1, but never had the baseline x rays. My Docs seem to not recommend any body scans, imaging, xrays….. I’ve always wondered about that because it seems inconsistent. . some people get them, some don’t. What is the actual medical clinical recommendation around this?

7spider
    Participant

I asked the same question myself, my Dermatologist told me about one of his patients that died at age 39, 8 years after treatment for early stage melanoma. The lady started having a lot of coughing, x rayed her lungs and she was full of melanoma and died 2 weeks later. Aparently she may of caught it sooner had she been having yearly chest xrays. Well that talked me in to it and I chose to do it.

cohanja
    Participant

But wouldn’t annual chest x rays just be looking at lungs? What about brain, liver, etc..? So then what about annual CT/PET, MRI, etc..?

cohanja
    Participant

I think my Dr is looking at the statistics of it unlikely to recur, also says xray would not show microscopic disease and most patients would be in with symptoms anyway by the time it would show something. . and also high rate of false positive and unnecessary biopsy/procedures, etc. . . I’ve really been struggling with whether to demand this or let it be.

cohanja
    Participant

Dr said, “I do not recommend it based on a very poor ratio of false postives that lead to interventions and risks, versus true positives. And radiation risk. Imaging of the chest, the most common place of spread, is often not sensitive enough. Additionally, there is no clear evidence that finding spread early is advantageous in this disease–but mostly for the reasons above” So, this is really confusing, because I know some people do get annual chest x ray. I just can’t figure out if I should demand it or not.

Catherine Poole
    Keymaster

My doctor agrees, he said if something was found in a chest xray, it would be too late to do much for that kind of spread to the lungs. Pet/cat scans do have a lot of false positives and are only useful when you have stage 4, or high risk 3. I also didn’t care to have the radioactive stuff in my systems unless I really needed it. So my follow up was always palpating the lymph nodes and skin exam and that’s been 22 years now.

cohanja
    Participant

Would it necessarily be felt in lymph nodes first, though? Couldn’t it bypass lymph nodes and head straight for lungs or other organ?

7spider
    Participant

I guess anything is possible. Doctors have differing opinions, so you just have to do what feels right for you. I think the best thing is to know your body and if something seems a lil weird go to the Doc. I agree too much testing is no good and never ending. Gotta also keep in mind that Doctoring is also a business and a lot of em are really good at manufacturing a real big bill, if you let em.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Melanoma Diagnosis: Stages I &II’ is closed to new topics and replies.